Training a deaf and 70% blind diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanEd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am presently training a woman who is completely deaf and about 70% blind. I am not having any problems as such. It is actually easier for us to communicate underwater than on land and it is amazing so see her "light up" when she accomplishes something new. I am looking forward to diving with her in the ocean in a couple of weeks.

Another reminder that if we let people challenge life based on their ability and not their disability they can accomplish amazing things. Far too often the limitations of a "disability" are in the mind of us so called able bodied people nad we hold them back from what they could do if we would only let them. The extra enthusiasm the handicapped bring to SCUBA is just another reason why I enjoy diving with them.

I am presently training a woman who is completely deaf and about 70% blind. I am not having any problems as such. It is actually easier for us to communicate underwater than on land and it is amazing so see her "light up" when she accomplishes something new. I am looking forward to diving with her in the ocean in a couple of weeks.

Just curious, are you trained as an adaptive diver instructor? If so, kudos to you. In case not, there are organizations out there (HSA) that specialize in adaptive scuba to which you might want to defer.

I just received a newsletter from Jim Eliott of Dive Heart. They just returned from a trip to Cozumel with the Diveheart Military Wounded (DMW) where they were training blind divers including one deaf and blind diver.

I note on the HSA website there are 5 or so HSA instructors in Melborn FL.

I am a certified HSA instructor as well as a PADI Course Director. I have also developed an lobster hunting course for the blind and am teaching amputee divers to spearfish using u/w scooters that they ride.

I love watching them light up when they can accomplish things that they never thought they could do before. The water has a way to helping to equalize things if you go about it in the right way.

Kuddo's to ya! For your effort, training (so-called) H/C divers. I am somewhat handicapped on land (gravity has been my enemy). My experience training the "Deaf" has been more rewarding than words can express..And envy comes from their ability to still "talk" underwater. Once I trained a diver with useless arm and leg (Dr's release..was from a childhood accident) He was awesome underwater!

I chuckle when I think that I deaf person is supposed to be "handicapped" underwater?????? They are so accustomed to using hand signals that it is a breeze. It is a bit funny in the beginning because some of them are afraid they can't communicate underwater. Once we get down there and they really understand that the only way we communicate is the way they are already doing it, they relax and love it.

My biggest frustration is that we don't seem to be able to reach many people in this category to tell them about what we are doing. Any suggestions?

A local deaf diver was looking for other local deaf divers, could not find any. You might try advertising in a magazine for the deaf, if you can find one.

The challenge is that many deaf, along with other people with disabilities (paralysis for example) elect not to see themselves as handicapped or want to be classified as such. End result it is hard to target this market. If mainstream SCUBA ads were to be more inclusive and demonstrate that all people can dive, even the deaf or paralyzed it would help. We are starting to see other business include wheelchairs in their ads.

Pasley:

I couldn't agree more. The one thing I had to make sure of with my deaf diver was that she had her ear drums checked by a doctor to make sure they were still flexible enough to be able to dive without causing injury.

Really with a deaf diver (of course here you also have a vision problem) the only realy issue for diving is ensuring there is a plan to maintian contact and communicaiton (ie the buddy system) during the surface periods as well. Have eyes on their buddy so they know if their buddy has a problem on the surface.

Back
Top Bottom