Experiences as a blind diver in the Diveheart system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have done my share of zero/low visibility diving, and I can think of a few things that may limit a blind diver. One is current. I dive mostly in rivers right now, and a blind diver, even with two sighted DiveHeart Divers, could have problems in a river current, or in an ocean area with a fairly high current. This could cause problems in cave diving/wreck diving too, as in current there are back eddies, and places where a sighted diver becomes disoriented due to conflicting currents.

The other is cold water. Any water where the divers need to wear gloves because of cold, may inhibit a blind diver. Why? Well, think of it, as a blind diver probably uses touch a lot more than a sighted diver. This is not only for signaling, but also for contact with a line, with the bottom, etc.

Depth may be a factor, in that with increasing depth there is more decompression problems. But this may be alleviated in the future with the potential for “talking” computers (yes, this is a possibility). However, the depth probably should be limited by the potential for nitrogen narcosis, which can cause both sighted and blind divers problems.

SeaRat
…yes a great observation and consideration. Again being ‘sighted’ and diving in ‘blacked out’ conditions can only be remotely compared with diving totally blind. ( Newmarket Creek for me ). It is probably likely to say that the ‘DiveHeart’ divers and blind divers would fare much better in warm, calm environment with limits on depth. …just to be able to,’have the experience’ of SCUBA diving would be worth its weight in gold to a blind or handicapped diver. It would be to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom