Training day tomorrow, or later today :D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The training schedule is posted for the morning.

0800 To 0830 Marine building for what ever.

0830-1130 Honeysuckle beach for cold water training. What ever that is. Our new leader will be getting his first taste of it. :D

1130-1230 FOOD

1230 to 1600 More diving and cold water rescue goodies.

1600 to 1800 back at marine for BS, oops, I mean clean up and debriefing.

At 1300 we will be set up for the public and media to come and get edumaticated about what we do.

Hey Rick, come on out and play. Bring your gear.

Gary D.

Gregoire:
And your getting PAID to do it, thats gotta be rough :D

Have fun and be safe!
Yea, so, I have to buy my own lunch.

Your only a couple of hours out. Come on over and I'll buy lunch. ;^)

Oh, by the way, did I tell ya we didn't lose the dime. We are still going to get $.50 an hour for dive pay. :D

Crapski. They just had it on the news that we are training today with all the details. Everytime this happens we need to put up a "DO NOT FEED THE ANIMALS" sign. Every homeless, unemployed, bored, unbalanced bozo will come out and tell us how good they will be for the team and we should hire them because they are a PADI Rescue diver.

I'm getting old and grumpy so I have an excuse for drowning every third one that tells me that. :D

Gary D.

Gary D.:
Yea, so, I have to buy my own lunch.

Gary D.

Thats the kicker, all that cold water and diving makes you really hungry, probably enough to eat up that extra 50 cents and hour you're getting for the day :D

Today’s training went very well.

G=Team Member
NG=Newer Team Member
FNG=A Real New Team Member :D

We meet up at the Marine Building at 0800 and do some in-house stuff.

At around 0900 we head for Honeysuckle Beach on Hayden Lake about 4 miles from the office.

G, NG and FNG’s get suited up and pack gear out onto the docks.

We break up into two teams with an equal amount of G, NG and FNG’s. We get into the water where I go through the basics first for our half.

Mask off and back on.
Throw reg away then find and replace.
BC off and back on.
Weight belt off and back on at the bottom and the surface.
Free assent to the surface.
Buddy breathe over a roughly 100 yard run.

I would do a skill then have another G, NG or FNG do it.
Our two FNG’s did well. One NG didn’t do so well at first.

NG learned that when you change to underwear that is like 2 inches thick you need more weight. A lot more weight. Like 44 pounds worth. He was warm but will resort back to the thinner stuff and dump 20 pounds.

Then we went to add nourishment to the bodies. Ahhhh, the power of Mexican Food and diving. :D

Some of the media was there in the morning but I think the snow kept the rest of them away. But at 1300 they show up after our chips, salsa and refry load. A gutsy lot they are. :D

Then we do some search patterns that only three of us know what up. Hehehe.

G is in the water doing a nice tight pattern about 80’ out. I wait for FNG, who is the safety diver, to get a little relaxed and complacent. So much so he pulls his mask off to itch his nose. Just as he did we had a diver emergency.

I’m sure most of you have heard the old saying, “A-hole over Teakettle”. Yup he was the perfect example.

G is fine but under a major entanglement. It was a drill but he was seriously entangled. NG is tending FNG who now has so much on his mind he can’t get it in the proper order.

No matter how hard he presses the BC dump valve he can’t get rid of the air inside so he can submerge. Kick, kick, kick but going nowhere, at least he’s pointed in the right direction.

First lesson is to stay calm, a tough thing for an FNG to do. Then the dump valve needs to be higher than air supply, which he eventually figured out. He also learned that keeping fins in the water makes one go faster than the air does.

By the end of the day everyone did a great job. It was snowing light with a mid 30’s air temp. The water was 40df with around 20’ of vis.

We all got over an hour on the bottom where it was warmer than topside. Might have had something to do with lunch. :D

Gary D.

PS. I almost forgot. Everyone of us, I stress everyone of us, placed a mask on the frontal lobe, facing forward, above the eye brows while both in and out of the water. During that activity only a hand full of local Canadian Geese even looked in our direction and not a one of them attempted a rescue. :D

Did you guys all dive your cressi's or plain old scuba?

Gregoire:
Did you guys all dive your cressi's or plain old scuba?
Both and doing the skills it got frickin cold.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
...Crapski. They just had it on the news that we are training today with all the details. Everytime this happens we need to put up a "DO NOT FEED THE ANIMALS" sign. Every homeless, unemployed, bored, unbalanced bozo will come out and tell us how good they will be for the team and we should hire them because they are a PADI Rescue diver...
I'll point out that I did not show up for this event, in spite of my homeless, unemployed, bored, unbalanced bozo lifestyle. I hope you appreciate the fact that you did not have to bail out my friole ladened and shivering self!

Sounds like you had fun!

Gary D.:
Both and doing the skills it got frickin cold.

Gary D.
I bet! I think I'm gonna put my Cressi on this weekend my face was a lil chilly last weekend! that and I need to practice skills with it before I start doing any calls with it. I doubt we wil get a call anytime soon, unless we get some real enthusiastic darwin hunters :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom