• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Most interesting or unusual cold water place you’ve dived?

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by Eric Sedletzky, Dec 20, 2018.

1. shoredivr

shoredivr Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Akureyri, on the north coast of Iceland. The water is cold enough there that wood-eating ship worms don’t exist, so I was able to dive the wreck of the Standard, a wooden ship from the 1890s that was in as good condition as the wooden wrecks here in the Great Lakes. Also dived Silfra, which was amazing visibility.

2. Diesel_Diver

Diesel_Diver Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Cool video , but those are mild tides google “ hopewell rocks”

3. TrimixToo

TrimixToo Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Several years ago while diving the Poling, I found a stack of cheap dishes in the galley. They hadn't been there on my previous dive...I'm sure they were a plant, left so that someone would come up proudly with an "artifact" from the wreck.

I laughed so hard, I almost lost my regulator!

4. TrimixToo

TrimixToo Regular of the Pub

OK, I'll chime in with the Sohier State Park in York, ME, where Nubble Light is located. A shallow protected cove with slippery rocks to enter and exit, but not too difficult to get in and out unless the surf is high. Lots of variety ranging from the usual crab and lobster to the infrequent seal, and I once saw a torpedo ray there. (A torpedo ray looks like a fish grafted onto a flying saucer. They are electric and pack a 200V shock when full grown. Don't touch!) Also there is an underwater memorial to a local diver not too far from the best entry/exit point (to your left as you enter). It always seemed fitting to me to place a diver's memorial where only other divers would see it.

5. 207diver

207diver Nassau Grouper

The entire coast of Maine has some great cold water diving we have plenty of shore access and with a boat your options are limitless. Southern Maine has enough lakes and ponds to keep you busy on those bad weather days.

This summer we did a couple of Wreck dives on Lake Champlain in Vermont and I would definitely recommend that to anyone in the area.

In reality all of New England has some incredible diving opportunities year round if you don't mind cold water and less then tropical visibility!

6. Chris Owens

Chris Owens Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Clear Lke in Oregon. Glacier fed with an underwater petrified forest. Even with a dry suit, 39° is painfully cold though!