Training death in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMG!! I just read this and I know I'm late in saying this but, David, my heart really goes out to you and your family brother. I can't say enough how horrible I feel for you. If it offers any solice whatsoever I hope you know that you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Just a heart wrenching story. Best wishes to you and your family.

Who thinks that such serious consequences can occur in such a shallow depth.

Yes, there is a very false sense of security in shallow depths. When the truth of the matter is that it is the area where the external pressure changes (which causes internal pressure changes) at the highest ratio in regards to depth. It also happens to be the depths, where new divers feel confident and bolting to the surface seems to still be in the subconcious for survival. My 13 yo son dives with me and this is where he tends to be a little looser with his ascent rate.

Dave,
Once again you have my prayers and thoughts. I lost a very close friend's 10 yo son (read one of mine) in 2007 from a brain anuerism(SP), there was nothing we could do to change the outcome. We performed CPR for 25 minutes and he was on the vent for another 2.5 hours while the Dr.s did test, discussion, etc. Some times it is just our time, and it isnt up to us to choose. I learned some valuable life lessons that Saturday afternoon.

From the posts here, you have the sympathy of this community to help you.

Just receied this on google alerts, but it is a news story subject to expected inaccuracies...

Community mourns loss of Bowie student killed in SCUBA accident

Tyler.jpg
Tyler, an avid baseball player and soon-to-be sophomore at Bowie High School, died Aug. 16 while on vacation in Mexico.

Tyler was on his third SCUBA dive when the 15-year-old motioned to his father and their guide that he was having trouble with his mask and was going up. Moments later, his father saw his son's mask was off and he was floating to the top. A last-days-of-summer family vacation in Cozumel had turned to tragedy.

The medical examiner ruled that Tyler, an avid baseball player and soon-to-be sophomore at Bowie High School, died Aug. 16 from asphyxiation due to a constricted trachea during immersion.

His funeral will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at Bethany Lutheran Church, 3701 W. Slaughter Lane, preceded by visitation at 10 a.m. A celebration of Tyler's life will take place immediately after the funeral at the church. Graveside services will follow at Austin Memorial Park Cemetery. Tyler loved sports and while baseball was his first love he also played YMCA basketball and Austin United Soccer. He also enjoyed Theater Arts, Tango Club, Fifth Grade Volleyball Club and making silly home videos with his friends.

His family said many of the e-mails from friends and his coaches talk about how kind, friendly and positive Tyler was with everything he did. "We're finding out how very popular he was, judging from the amount of calls we've received," his father said.

Tyler was born March 8, 1994, in Austin and is survived by his parents, Steve and Angie, sister Courtney, grandparents Ivan Johnson, Lois Bilbrough, David Everett, Walter Laas, Betty Cannady and Lewis Keith, and an aunt and uncle Amy and David Flanagan; along with many other family members and loving friends.

His father said Tyler was very excited about this vacation and talked about it every day for the last couple of weeks. "We swam with dolphins during this trip, which was a long- time wish of his," he said.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Oak Hill Youth Sports Association, Bowie High School Baseball Booster Club, the Tyler **** Memorial Scholarship Fund (donations accepted at any Bank of America branch) or the charity of your choice.

Back
Top Bottom