Training death in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear David,

I am very sorry for the loss of your grandson.

If the description of the accident, mask exercise, bolt to the surface, etc., are accurate, I can almost guarantee you that the cause of death was an Arterial Gas Embolism. I'm not sure about embalming, but if memory serves (and this is going back more than 40 years when I had a college job in the county morgue) it can.

David, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your loved one - Hang in there :wink:

Does anyone know whether the young man was in a Discover Scuba class or doing the open water portion of a full SCUBA certification?

Rich Hagelin

David;
My deepest sympathies go out to you and your family. This has my 14 y/o son and my hearts and minds filled with grief and sorrow, as I am the Paramedic from Wisconsin that jumped over to the boat your family was on, and attempted vigorously to resuscitate Tyler. As for what happened I am not sure, but I do know that when the dive instructor (who is top notch with over 25 year’s experience) first got to Tyler in the water, his jaw was clenched tight and both hands were decorticate posturing. I am waiting for a call back from a friend that is a medical pathologist in L.A., to get a definite answer to your autopsy question.

What I found most disturbing was the lack of skills, aggressiveness, and advanced cardiac life support equipment provided by local EMS. If I can help you at all send me an e-mail. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers over your loss, and this tragic accident.

Our Condolences

Dave & Kyle

i am so sorry to hear of your loss. We just got back from Cozumel last week diving with our 2 grand kids ages 12 and 14. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. Kathy in Mico Texas (just outside of San Antonio)

I am very sorry to hear about your loss and it truly saddens me as I am not only part of the dive family but also part of the Bethany family, my prayers are with you and your family.

Paul

EMS I know how tragic this has got to be on the family and you as well. On behalf of all of us on the board and most definately for the sake of the family thank you for being there and doing all you could do.

Im sure that in time it well tell what exactly happened so be strong and have faith and God bless the family!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom