Training Drills??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhoadc

Registered
Reaction score
I am a new diver who wants to be a great diver. What kind of drills can I do to help me get there. I spend 1/2 of every dive training. So far I just do the drills we did in OW class. Mask clearing, etc. I also work a lot on my bouyancy. I practice hovering in all kinds of positions (head up, head down, on my back, etc). I swim under the platforms without touching them or the bottom.

What would you guys suggest to work on to become a better diver? I dive as much as I can.

I think I will look at all the different kicks on youtube and work on those more.

sounds like you are off to a great start, and not afraid to put some work in,
if i had to chose 1 skil it would be bouyancy,
work on hover & breath control, take a peak performance bouyancy class,
good luck

Well, as my many instructors have told me, the key to good, safe diving is the ability to maintain buoyancy, trim and position, and situational awareness, under task loading.

Practicing things like mask clearing and mask replacement and air-sharing is great, if you also require yourself to remain at the same depth, in the same trim, keeping track of the line and your buddy, and staying in communication the whole time. The individual skills are actually reasonably easy to master; the positioning and awareness are very hard, and some of us work on those things forever.

Just one caution . . . skills can be incorporated into regular, everyday diving. It's VERY important not to become a "quarry commando", and do nothing but practice. You need diving experience, in a variety of environments and with a variety of companions, to build coping skills and confidence.

I have been doing most (almost all) of my diving solo. Flame suit on........ So I have been doing things I can do without a buddy. I leave for Belize at the end of the month so I would like to have my skill level as high as I can before we go!

Solo diving is fine with the proper redundant gear IMO.It sounds like your doing the skills you need to practice already.

Back
Top Bottom