Training for Diver Stress

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KZMAN once bubbled...
Be Realistic! Could this really happen, or are we just loading?
But in GUE tech training multiple failures are introduced as the students (always a buddy team) make room for the failures. While it is unrealistic that Shane and I would lose three masks between us... the scenario called for us to make a staged decompression ascent with gas switch but with one of the buddy pair maskless (twas me.)

The types of failures and scenarios are (as best I can tell) dictated by the specific needs of the individuals being trained. No matter how good you are... Andrew G. will find your weakness and exploit it.. allowing you to learn. Everything is video taped for debrief and here is an interesting tid bit:
There are always those who want to argue with Andrew and try to defend their actions... even going so far as to blame him for their stupid moves... but the evidence is right there on video.

I am so glad that all this stuff doesn't happen with recurring frequency out on the real dives... but I am also glad (now that it is over and the thoughts of taking up golf have disappeared) that I was task loaded and challenged like this. I will say that I probably need a refresher but I am not about to subject myself to this kind of stuff without someone like Andrew, Nick and Todd in control.

Who will be your Tech 1 instructor and have you had any GUE classes before?

I have a tip for you that I will send in a PM.

I'd have to say that between this thread and the report posted by large_diver I've learned quite a bit about the DIRF class and it's workings in the past couple of days - it wasn't what I had expected. Now I wish I'd have taken up your invite to go with you guys to the class John.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Who will be your Tech 1 instructor and have you had any GUE classes before?

I have a tip for you that I will send in a PM.

Uncle Pug.

Somewhere I believe that you have gotten your information mixed up. First off, thanks for the tip in the PM, but I need to correct a few things.

I am not, and have never stated that I am taking a GUE Tech 1 class. I am taking a DIRF class this weekend. I have mentioned this fact in several other posts, but it was not discussed by me in this one, nor was that a basis for my posting this thread.

To my knowledge, DIRF class is an introduction to the Do It Right philosophy with a focus on proper equipment configuration, buddy awareness, dive planning etc. as well as honing the 'barely passable' skills that most people learn in an OW class.

The 'training' that I did the other day which caused me to be curious about what other people did and led to me posting this was not in anticipation of having a GUE instructor rip a mask off of my face. The only correlation between what we did and the upcoming DIRF class is that during both I want to make sure that my bouyancy, trim and awareness are where they need to be.

If I thought that the DIRF class was going to be as simple as dealing with a few 'problems' such as these, I would just skip the class and give CP and TDD the $325 I paid to take it instead.

I have no hard feelings regarding your posts or comments, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I just want to make sure you understand that the purpose of my original post was to find out if anyone else did any sort of training, what kind of training they did, and why they did it.

Cave Diver once bubbled...
Somewhere I believe that you have gotten your information mixed up.
>>>>>>>
I just want to make sure you understand that the purpose of my original post was to find out if anyone else did any sort of training, what kind of training they did, and why they did it.
Yes, I understand what you were trying to find out.

Please let me know what you find out in the DIRF.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Please let me know what you find out in the DIRF.

Sure thing. I intend to post a detailed thread about my experience, good or bad.

Back
Top Bottom