Training needed for solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Freeman:
I think you have to take a CPR class outside of Rescue/Dan O2 (NAUI) if I understood correctly?

I was just adding the Dan O2 class to learn more and get the O2 provider cert so I can 'think' about buying a O2 kit in the future for those unexpected emergencies.

You don't need the Dan 02 cert to buy the kit. The hard part is getting the fills. I suggest contacting a local medical 02 supply company and talking to someone about what you are looking for. I was able to get an account at a local 02 provider this way. I showed a rep my dive certs and Dan 02 Kit and explained my intended use of the 02, etc. and they were fine with it.

--Matt

Triathalons huh? That just might be a great goal to set for myself. I think we have an Ironman competition starting this year. I'd like to be able to, in years to come, be able to at least participate and maybe even someday finish one...
Swimming and biking are easy enough for me to do, but running.. eh i hate running. Seems like an abuse on the body.
But i'm glad you brought that up. I already ride bike 3 x a week and have started taking swimming more seriously.. i'm thinking out loud now.
but the point is that fitness is extremely important, you're absolutely right, the conditions in which I feel I could die should too many things go wrong I wont' even consider diving. Really things have to be pretty safe for me to dive at all (solo or not).

Solo diver, not Ironman--no!!!!!! Their crazy!!!! I used to do a few marathons and loved the 10K runs. The Triathlons I did, and I did a bunch of them over a 10 year period, where the "sprint" type and the USTS International distance type once sponsered by Bud Light Beer. The swim was 1.5K followed by a 40K bike and then a 10K run. In miles that is about .9 mile, 25 miles and 6 miles approx. Yes, they are an excellent goal to work toward and they are fun and the workouts needed to accomplish them are not all that killer and that fitness level will result in your becoming a better diver as well. There are lot's of books out their with training programs for ordinary people to get you started. N

Back
Top Bottom