Training needed for solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RE Dry suit
I know it isn't really needed for a majority of dives in Texas, but I am looking into some Tech classes for deep/extended diving below 130 feet, and I think a dry suit would be more comfortable.

I looked at both dry suits and a 5/7 mm henderson hyperstretch at scuba toys. I am going back to take my Nitrox class tomorrow, and will probably look them over again.

Re Comfort level diving
Diving has never been that stressful to me. I just like to be well equiped and trained before I do my first real solo dive. I also need more practice with my new equipment.

Look forward to diving with the Texas Swamp divers as soon as get a cold water suit.

Michael Freeman:
I'm curious what type of training and experience everyone believes a solo diver should have before attempting a solo dive?

I’ve been out of the water for the last 2 years and plan on taking a master diver class (naui). I only have a little over a 100 dives of rec type diving (50/50 ocean/lake) and have taken a few refresher classes to practice my old skills in the pool.

I am entering a master diver class to help improve my skills and get some dives in since I am presently buddyless. I plan to head toward some deep diving and decompression techniques type classes through the same school, but was curious about solo diving as an option after I verify my skills are back up to speed.

Just want some opinions from people who have actually dove solo and will give me an honest opinion instead of flaming me for even thinking about diving solo.

Michael,

The SDI pre-requisites to take a SDI solo diver course are as follows:

-100 or more logged dives
-21 years of age or older
-Advanced diver cert or higher
-Medical release
-Liability waiver

I have solo dove often and enjoyed it greatly. I have been teaching for several years and have mulptiple requests for this class but so far I have not taught any. Reason being ultimately it is my discretion who takes the course and so far I have thought none of the requestors were ready.

CBalloch

"Good rule of thumb:
Never solodive more than twice the depth you can safely freedive.
Makes sense!
gleaned from the pages of Solodiving: the art of underwater self-sufficiency."

I have quoted that book several places. Those tenants he proposes go way back to the early days of diving, not just solo. I tend to largely agree with them. I do not see that the depth rule is ironclad if you have doubles with dual independent regulators and other types of serious redundancy or a pony with approximately 1/3 your main tanks capacity. On the other hand, if you are staying shallow and within such limits as he suggests then the surface atmosphere is your redundancy strictly speaking and nothing else.
An octapus really is not redundancy and I, my opinion, see it serving no purpose for the solo diver nor do all the extra long hoses. There is no buddy and we are not in a cave (me anyways). For me it has been around 60 feet that I no longer feel the atmosphere is my redundant air supply and feel the need to begin providing myself with solid backups if going beyond that depth. Today that might even be to much for me but certainly at 30ish feet I see no need for anything more than a single regulator and not much else.

The solo course sounds great and everyone has their criteria and I certainly would not disagree but with me I consider more the comfort and skill level and maturity of judgement. As I also stated earlier, I think superb fitness is more important that many other things, it can save you. I think one should be able to swim a mile using a crawl stroke --no fins or other gear--in under 30 minutes comfortably without stopping to rest. I think one should be able to swim a 1/4 mile in full gear in their preferred method (on back or face down with snorkel) at approximatelly a 70% max effort. I think a fit person should have enough left after the 1/4 mile equipment swim at 70% effort to go 100% for the last 50 yards. I think one should be able to free dive at least 30 feet with ease and in no rush. I think you should be able to fully remove all gear (Doff and Don) in 15 feet of water approx and surface and then surface dive in good form and restore all the gear. I think one should be able to do all of this with NO mask. None of this is especially challenging as a 30 minute one mile swim is not fast but what all of these things mean to me is that the individual has at least a solid fitness base that can handle the unforseen. These things with the mature judgement and experience and good equipment and such as that make a solo diver. These are my standards for me, I suggest them for no other person and the suitability of such will have to be judged in the end by each solo diver. N

I guess I am already qualified to take the Solo class, but I think I am going to take the Rescue/Dan O2 class at Scuba Toys when they offer it next.

Should increase my knowledge base and give me some dive time to work with my new equipment and verify to myself my skills are up to par.

Nemrod:
I think one should be able to swim a mile using a crawl stroke --no fins or other gear--in under 30 minutes comfortably without stopping to rest. I think one should be able to swim a 1/4 mile in full gear in their preferred method (on back or face down with snorkel) at approximatelly a 70% max effort. I think a fit person should have enough left after the 1/4 mile equipment swim at 70% effort to go 100% for the last 50 yards. I think one should be able to free dive at least 30 feet with ease and in no rush. I think you should be able to fully remove all gear (Doff and Don) in 15 feet of water approx and surface and then surface dive in good form and restore all the gear. I think one should be able to do all of this with NO mask. None of this is especially challenging as a 30 minute one mile swim is not fast but what all of these things mean to me is that the individual has at least a solid fitness base that can handle the unforseen. These things with the mature judgement and experience and good equipment and such as that make a solo diver. These are my standards for me, I suggest them for no other person and the suita for no other person andbility of such will have to be judged in the end by each solo diver. N
I agree with the point you're making about fitness and I have similar 'personal requirements' but I cannot say that I can perform to your levels just yet.(not that you implied i ought to)
I love working on donning and doffing gear underwater w/out a mask as a requirement, for some reason that is just fun to me. It was my favorite part of my Open Water Training.

Michael Freeman:
.... I am going to take the Rescue/Dan O2 class at Scuba Toys when they offer it next....

Good Idea. Rescue Diver course was the most valuable class I've taken. But I didn't bother with the Dan O2 class. I saved money and had a firefighter certify me in CPR. PADI accepted it.
Do what you think is best, but I like to save $$. (i know i should be concerned with saving lives..)

I think you have to take a CPR class outside of Rescue/Dan O2 (NAUI) if I understood correctly?

I was just adding the Dan O2 class to learn more and get the O2 provider cert so I can 'think' about buying a O2 kit in the future for those unexpected emergencies.

"I agree with the point you're making about fitness and I have similar 'personal requirements' but I cannot say that I can perform to your levels just yet.(not that you implied i ought to)
I love working on donning and doffing gear underwater w/out a mask as a requirement, for some reason that is just fun to me. It was my favorite part of my Open Water Training."

I like Doff and Don too, it is kinda fun practice.
Yeah, the fitness thing, I have fallen below my criteria as well so I probably will not dive solo until I get back in shape. You understand obviously that there will be no buddy to help you if you tire, if you get downstream of your boat (I always have someone on the boat but what if the engine will not start) or an unexpected current or circumstance.
The closest I ever came to drowning was in a Triathlon in Galvezton Tx. The ocean was rough and the waves rolling in created a bad current, a rip, a undertow and the longshore current was bad as well. The first turn bouy for the one mile swim portion was several hundred yards to sea. I at that time swam at least two miles every day. By the time I reached the bouy the waves had hammered me so that I was totally confused, could see nothing, lost my goggles, got kicked in the face by other confused swimmers and my arms just went totally limp. They where like wet noodles, I swallowed so much water I threw up. Two guards where in the water pulling other swimmers to safety. Then, like out of nowhere, my strength came back and I started swimming, faster and faster. I finished that mile in under 25 minutes, completed the 25 mile bike in one hour and a few minutes and then ripped off a 45 minute 6 mile run, and I felt good afterwards. It was my fitness base that kept me going. I just think, like this example, when things go badly having a body that does not quit on you can get you out of trouble when all else fails. If a diver is really solo and the muscles cramp, tire out and you hit the wall and there is no more to go, then what, hope the wind blows you into shore, hope someone sees you, maybe a friendly dolphin will stop by? Triathelete fitness levels are not needed for solo diving (good thing because I will never get back to that level--ever again) but a good and sound minimum fitness base is needed in my opinion and each will have to decide what they level is for their diving conditions they anticipate. I have said enough so I will go away now. Good luck, the rescue and CPR and all that sounds like a great plan. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom