Training too fast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dustyb

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished my OW cert and on the same weekend I got nitrox and peak performance certified. My instructor wants me to go on a deep dive, a night dive, and underwater navigation to complete my advanced certification. Should i go on my own dives before training more? Am I being pushed to fast or is it wise to train early?

It's up to you.

If you feel that you are absorbing the material and the experiences, I say go for it.

However, if you're still challenged by the basics of breathing underwater and don't have sufficient bandwidth to concentrate on new skills, back off and practice your "old" skills.

In any case, it'll take a combination of instruction and experience to become an "advanced diver."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your not comfortable in the water and _OR_ are new I would say get some dives done first get some real world experience. There is no need to rush to AOW shallow water is nothing to be ashamed of infact if you check photography the Mala Pier and Makena photos I posted are max depth of 28ft.

I took OW last year and AOW this year without any diving in between (unfortunately). My AOW experience may be the norm or not... I felt it was nothing, but checkout dives based on a checklist topside. No examples provided under the water. Perhaps this is because the expectation is that you've been diving since your OW to get more comfortable in your skills, though there is no requirement for this.

What did I learn?

Navigation - I need more efficient and consistent finning. I also need to be able to multi-task that finning with buoyancy control.

Peak Perf Buoyancy - Duh, need to work on buoyancy. I was weighted a little heavy per the DM after the dive, who actually saw my weight check on the surface and said, "great, let's go!"

Search & Recovery - same as Navigation. After hitting the bottom, I destroyed the vis on the bottom and had no chance to find the golf balls. Completely deflated at that point.

What I really learned? I need to get out with buddies/mentors and practice. Swim around, try things, know my gear and my abilities.

I'd be interested to know what your instructor feels is so important about the certification over just getting out there. What does it add at this point? What might you not get out of it that you could with more time in the water?

Does he instructor have a boat payment due?

Seriously, as an open water diver you should be prepared to make dives withing your training scope with peers or other buddies. Get 1 or 2 dozens dives under your belt then go forward with more training. Give the basics time to become second nature before broadening your horizons. Your most important training will come from experience so don't skimp on that.

Pete

The fact that you are asking tells you that there are some warning flags. If you are comfortable with expanding your horizons, by all means do so. If you feel you need time to just get out & dive & improve upon what you already have,.... Go for it! Go with your gut feelings 99.99999999............% of the time, it's right!

There are two ways of looking at AOW, and one of the big variables is the instructor.

Many people who have just finished their OW class have pretty rudimentary diving skills. Some are pretty uncomfortable in the water -- I know I was. For such people, the AOW class is a way to do five more dives with an instructor for insurance and security. It isn't possible to absorb a great deal on any of the topics, because staying alive underwater is still a challenge, but you do pick up a few things. Honestly, I think this is what the class is DESIGNED for -- sort of an "Open Water II". If it is taught to minimum standards, then it may not take long before independent diving would get you to a point where you would feel the class was pretty worthless.

The other kind of AOW is taught by instructors like NW Grateful Diver, and is NOT taught to minimum standards. This can be a really challenging and useful class with a lot of good information in it, but it is not a class one should take straight out of OW. You would need stronger basic diving skills than most people have at the end of their certification, to do such a class justice.

The business model for scuba instruction is to sell ConEd. Shops and instructors typically make very little, if any money from OW students, but the returns increase significantly when students come back to take specialty classes. For this reason, they are often heavily pushed.

Since you have already had some experience with this instructor, I'd sit down and look at the AOW book, and ask yourself if the instructor added ANYTHING to what you could get out of reading the book and then going diving. If your answer is no, then don't take any more classes, at least not right away. If the instuctor was truly adding value -- helping you significantly with the physical skills of diving, or providing additional information, then you may choose to take the class soon, if not right away.

Can you do all skills midwater and hovering in trim? Are you capable of getting with a buddy of equal skill, planning and executing a dive without any instructor input? If not you should not be doing AOW yet. How much time have you spent practicing the skills you already have? AOW is not just a card and it should not be thought of as 5 more dives with an instructor. In fact that is probably the worst reason to do AOW.

An AOW that is a taste or tour of advanced dives is a waste of time and money. It should impart the skills necessary to actually do dives that would be considered advanced. BS stuff like Fish ID and Boat diver are joke dives that do little but take your money. Advanced dives are dives where you can get into trouble a lot faster and with more serious consequences. The card will give you access to those dives on many boats. It should indicate that you are qualified to do those dives.

AOW can be extremely valuable or a complete waste of time. I don't understand how you got three certs in two days of diving. Based on that I 'd say you need to get away and do some diving on your own. I do not allow anyone into my AOW course with less than 10 dives after OW cert.

I would say it is up to you.

I did my AOW after 35 dives. I did learn quite a bit from my class. I don't know if it was taught to minimum standards or not. I do know that the Peak Bouyancy helped, not the book so much as the dive. The navigation part was helpful, not the book the dive. It helps knowing what a proper dive briefing should entail for boat safety especially, the book helped there. The deep dive served to give me more confidence in my abilities and comfort levels, not the book, the dive. During the course I was able to drop 6 pounds of weight, cut my air consumption by +/- 20% (20% lower SAC not 20% more bottom time) and remind me things I already knew and improve on applying the knowledge.

Overall it was a very helpful and worthwhile course for me. I didn't feel like it was shoved or pushed on me, I decided to do the course. It reinforced some of the materials taught in OW and added some information.

I don't think seeking more training and information is a bad thing. When to do it should be your decision not the instructors, not on a recommendation from me. It is up to you to decide. Good luck on your decision, only after doing the training will you decide if it was worthwhile or not.

I am in a similar situation. Did the OW course a few weeks ago and then started with nitrox and AOW as a combo right after that. I made two nitrox dives last weekend (one of those doubled as a deep dive) and still have to do a night dive to complete AOW. I think there is no harm in doing OW and AOW right after one another, because the four open water dives during OW are just enough to get familiar with the equipment, but not enough to develop some essential skills like buoyancy control. And AOW gives me a tiny bit more time to work on my skills before I go diving independently with a buddy.

I consider OW + AOW as Elementary SCUBA I and rescue diver + various specialities as Elementary Scuba II. After I get the AOW card, I plan to do at least 50 dives before I taking any further classes, if any.

Back
Top Bottom