Training with Diveheart: What a rush!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Last night was my first night in the pool for DiveHeart training. It was simply incredible. During the entire class I was blinded with a piece of black plastic in my mask. I had to assemble my gear, get geared up, be led to the pool and then do a giant stride without seeing a thing. Hey, that was fun enough but then I descended. I must say that I never understood why a sightless person would deign to dive until that very moment. What a rush! I was able to hover motionless and feel the change in pressure. During the session, I stayed in constant contact/communication with my buddy (who is also learning), toured the pool, recovered my regulator, did a CESA, Buddy breathed, did a mid water doff and don of my BCD, did a BCD ditch with CESA, did a free dive back down to my gear and put it back on. Talk about a confidence boost!!! The last one was great as I was told while on the surface that my gear was just in front of me by about an arms length. Rather than be led down to the gear, I just relied on my situational awareness and went for it. Finding my gear was AWESOME: it was right where she told me it would be. :D Elena lost a fin during her exercise and not only completed the task, but even found her lost fin.

This morning we are headed to Jules' Undersea Lodge to continue the training! Woot!

attachment.php

Assembling my gear blindfolded!

Last edited:
what a fantastic experience ! I am going to have to do this exercise. Done regularly this can improve some of the spatial tasks in the brain.

I would be glad to locate Nd put you I charge with a facilitating group close to you.

What memories!

The next day we did paraplegic exercises. They strapped my legs together with a weight belt and took away my fins. All propulsion was by hand. When you spend as much time as I do keeping students from using their hands, this really becomes FUN. While I felt I excelled at being blind, I did not feel competent as a hands only swimmer. I could not accomplish the ditch and don or the CESA. What an eye opener. Taking on a physically challenged diver means that THEY are doing a "trust me" dive. Your buddy skills have to be exceptional with such a diver. I had the tables turned on me as I had to assist a paraplegic diver. Remember, you have to help them get dressed as well, worry about their temp as you get ready to splash and then facilitate them getting in and (more importantly) back out!

That afternoon, we mimicked quadriplegic divers. All I could move was my head indicating either no or yes. Again, you have to dress them, put their gear on and even their mask. I watched intently as Jim did a demonstration. You have to descend slowly, making sure both of your buoyancies match. Then, just before you completely submerge, you pinch their nostrils so they can equalize. You give them the OK and they indicate only yes or no. If it's no, you have to figure out what's wrong. Point to your ears and give the OK sign, then wait for them to respond. Point to your mask and do the same. You keep pointing and asking and hopefully you figure it all out. My "quad" seemed to be comfortable during the five minutes we toured around Jules. I had her in a sitting position and kind of flew her around the park. I was banking them gently in turns and giving them the underwater equivalent of a theme park ride, without all the ups and downs of course! After the dive, my quad said she felt safe and comfortable. This was the ultimate "trust me" dive.

Then it was my turn to be the quad and things got downright silly. The first person to take me down did OK. There were a few things that could have been smoother, but she was a quick study and corrected them quickly. The second person (the one I took around the park) had a great deal more difficulty. First, she deflated me completely while she was still buoyant. I plummeted to the bottom and she quickly got me up. The next attempt was a tad bit better, but she was still rushed. she pinched only the end of my nose so I didn't equalize. Somehow, I found myself upside down (looking up) and descending with my feet trailing us, somewhere above my head. I bumped into the bottom and immediately started shaking my head "no". I felt pressure in my ears! Bump, slide, bump, slide. I must say that I had never experienced Jules quite like this before and I thought my neck would snap the way I was shaking it. Bump slide, bump slide, we are down to about twenty feet now and she has completely missed me shaking my head "no". My ears are hurting so I finally come out of character, give the thumbs up sign and head for the surface. Oh crap! I'm not wearing fins!!! :D :D :D When I get to the surface, I find Jim laughing right out loud and pointing at me. He was amazed that I was such a "good sport" as he puts it, and let her continue. Well heck, you only learn by doing. I gave her my honest appraisal of how she needed to change her approach and Jim added an insight or two as well. On her third attempt, she went far slower and was so much more in control. My nose was pinched correctly and often and she paid attention to my signals. Again, I felt like I was flying around the park. She did GREAT!!! Yay!!!

I wasn't able to finish the training the next day, so I still have another full day of training. I can't wait to keep at this so I can assist real divers with adaptive scuba! It will be fun!

In 2009 I did about half of the DiveHeart training with Jimmy on Bonaire, and I managed to get in all the in-water work, but couldn't make it to the classroom sessions because I had classes of my own to teach. So I was never certified as an instructor, but one of these days.... I really want to complete the training sometime (I've got all the materials even). It was such a valuable experience. Thanks for bringing back the memories, and give Jimmy a hug from me!

Just completed a full HSA Instructor course with Jim/Diveheart in Pensacola. Let us/me know if someone needs training completed or refreshed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom