Transpac and sidemounts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CWSWine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Transpac that has been sitting in my closet collecting dust since I switch to BP & Wing. I do have some lower back problems so I think instead of going to standard doubles I would try sidemounts. What does it take to convert a Transpac to sidemount rig? Which wing is recommend and how does it attach to the harness?

-Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for posting. Here is the link to the product you're looking for Nomad Kit. Click on the DOWNLOADS tab to the left of the product description and you'll find our user manual that includes set up instructions. Note that your TransPac will have to have been manufactured after 1997 for compatibility.

Also, read the Tech Specs for Bungees and Buttplate to determine the length of bungees to order.

We have some nice videos in our Library that show how to set up sidemount for various types of diving methods.

Enjoy! Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Kathleen

I was wanting to try it without spending a bunch of money up front. I already own a Transpac and Rec Wing not the new EXP. Would the Rec Wing work at all for side mounting? I have a set of AL80 and a set of X7-100.

If you are sidemounting in open water conditions, then simply add the buttplate and bungees to your existing set up. Clip each tank like you would a stage bottle (D-ring on TransPac shoulder and bar on buttplate). Follow the instructions in our manual for adding hardware to your tanks and you'll be set.

Our videos also show you ideas on how to set up your regulators.

Best,
Kathleen

Bump.

Hi Kathleen,

I have a Transpac II with a Travel wing that I would like to convert for open-water sidemount use. Just to confirm (please re-calibrate me if I'm wrong)...

At a minimum I'll need:

- Nomad XT wing
- Buttplate and bungees

Yes/No? Anything else? Recommendations?

you won't need anything else, but it may be cheaper to buy a full out new nomad.
BFS: Dive Rite Nomad XT Sidemount Package [BC4650P] - $879.99 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!
hell for $900 you can get a new one and a set of regulators...
Dive Rite Original Style Nomad Sidemount System [BC3100P] - $550.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!
$550 puts you in a new non xt nomad which for open water diving is more than adequate. Hell for most cave and wreck diving it's more than adequate.

Hmm. $900 is over budget, and I have enough regs.

It looks like I could get the Nomad kit (to convert the Transpac) for $425, or go with a new Nomad EXP rig for $499.

Okay, that sets a 'doable' price-point. The kit appears to have everything I need, if I go that direction.

Just wanted to give a thumbs up for Cave Adventures. It's where I got my BP and rig. I got their own BP which looks amazingly similar to the Dive Rite, just a little cheaper. their service and prices are top notch from my experiences with them.

shell out the extra money for the real one. keep the transpac for other stuff. While the nomad will easily do doubles and singles, I have found that unless you are using really long tanks the butt plate can get rather uncomfortable. EXP isn't bad if you're doing just open water. I don't like that it isn't modular, but for the majority of open water sidemount divers it works perfectly

Hey g2,

The only other decision would be regarding bungees. Are you going to use the Stage Strap/D Ring bungee system or go with sizing bungees according to length and wrap them around the tank neck. We're releasing four new sidemount videos in January that will give more tips on bottle placement and advantages of the Stage Strap system.

Otherwise, looks like you are sorted!

Cheers,
Kathleen

PS: Th special is $499 for any Nomad, not just the EXP. January only.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom