Transpac II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's definitely not DIR as it does not utilise a rigid metal backplate or a continuous "one piece" harness/webbing.

http://www.gue.com/equipment/backplate.shtml

Can one use the TransPac for DIR-F?

The official GUE eqipment requirement for DIR-F (http://www.gue.com/classroom/dirfund.shtml) specifies:

"A rigid and flat platform, of metal construction with minimal padding, held to a diver by one continuous piece of nylon webbing."

So the official answer is no - Otoh, I think it would be best if you talk to your local GUE instructor (or one of the many on SB).

I agree that the official answer is no, but from what I have heard some instrustors will allow variations in the gear requirements esp. for fundamentals as far as a bp/w with continuous webbing goes. The regulator hose configuration is a must though.

Actually they typically won't allow you to use a transpac in a dir course or at least highly reccomend you don't. A word of warning as well if you do choose to use it your instructor will quickly show you it's flaws in the middle of a drill.

Ever been in the midle of a diver rescue drill to have your quick release clips come undone on both sides and have to finish the drill hanging on to the diver his reg and your bc. Not fun. Incidentily I was the one being towed and was spitting my reg out for real because I was laugghing so hard at my buddy.

clarktenk:
Actually they typically won't allow you to use a transpac in a dir course or at least highly reccomend you don't. A word of warning as well if you do choose to use it your instructor will quickly show you it's flaws in the middle of a drill.

Ever been in the midle of a diver rescue drill to have your quick release clips come undone on both sides and have to finish the drill hanging on to the diver his reg and your bc. Not fun. Incidentily I was the one being towed and was spitting my reg out for real because I was laugghing so hard at my buddy.
In my experience, that will depend entirely on the instructor ... some are not into using public humiliation as an instructional aid. At least not at the DIR-F level.

That said, for anyone out there considering the DIR-F class I would recommend getting ahold of a backplate/wing system well before class, and trying a few dives in it prior to class to get used to the feel of the system underwater. You will get way more out of the class by using the proper gear ... and by being at least passingly familiar with it prior to taking the class.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I know of some instructors... ok one that I actually know of... that will supply the equipment for the DIRf class if you need it. That's how committed he is to teaching this class. He teaches in the northeast and is a great instructor :) I would suggest you go that route if you don't have your own gear and really want to take the course.

Chris

my opinion, my friend, is that if i like it and it works (for what i am doing) it's the right tool. just take into account all of it's weaknesses and strengths for your intended use

skinerd:
Could the transpac II be considered DIR/Hog? Could I use it in a DIR-F class?
Thanks

i always like that example. is it possible for both q/r clips to fail simeltanouesly? yes, but is is probable? no, it's probably someone undoing them for you...

:wink:

clarktenk:

bnelson:
my opinion, my friend, is that if i like it and it works (for what i am doing) it's the right tool. just take into account all of it's weaknesses and strengths for your intended use
If you like it and if it works doesn't mean it's acceptable. skinerd asked two simple questions and since this is DIR forum he obviously opted for DIR minded answers. No, Transpac II is not DIR and it can be hardly accepted for DIR-F.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom