Transpack II or IQ pack ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-BlueHole-

Reaction score
Has someone had experiences with one of the two ?
I need some imput to take a decision...

Actually I'm using a Dive System bcd, basically a cheaper oms clone, I dive both single steel 15l and steel 10 twins depending on the dive, at the moment only air, but I want a system able to grow with me

My only concern about the transpac is the abs backplate, but I love the possibility to put travel wings and follow me in holidays :wink:

Any imput welcome

Thx

I am using a Transpac 2 with the travel wing at the moment (and for the forseeable future). I love it. It is just as streamlined as a Halcyon Pioneer and backplate. I have a Halcyon trim weight pouch mounted on the upper tank strap of the TP2 in order to get the same level trim of a stainless steel BP without having to drag the weight around the world. The TP2 is much more comfortable than the stiff webbing of the BP and far easier to adjust. It holds the tank securely on my back and does not need a crotch strap to do it. So far I have used it with singles up to 11 liters. Larger tanks are possible, I just don't happen to have one.

Forget the ABS backplate, it is not part of the Transpac system. Unlike the OMS, the Transpac is not designed to slip in a backplate. When set up with doubles, a pair of stabilizing plates are used (glorified washers) that cost about US$15.

The TP2 allows adjustment of the point where the shoulder straps interrsect the waist strap, somehting the OMS does not have. It also seemed like the TP2 cost less than the OMS, when shopping around.

Note that Diverite wings, other than the Travel wing, will work with both the TP2 and standard metal backplates. If you must have a full backplate for doubles, the Diverite aluminum backplate is under US$100 with a harness.

Leadweight,

Re: The TP II. Does it have any "structure" in the back or does it use the tank itself to give it structure? I dove one a while back but it was already mounted on a tank so I don't recall. Seems very well made though.

The IQ pack readily holds the back plate of your choice inside. It is definately more stable than the Transpack, and more comfortable than just a back plate ( for shore dives anyways). If you want a smaller wing in addition to the OMS one, just get a Scubapro Travtek. 28# of lift and you won't even notice it....fits the IQ and the back plate.

As a transpac II owner I would not recommend it for doubles.
It's fine for singles, but it only has two small clamp plates that you use with doubles. I found it too floppy, not secure.

I have since switched to an aluminum backplate.
I still use the same harness and wing but with an aluminum backplate, on oms 98 steel doubles, and I use a single tank adapter with single 80's .

My buddy uses and OMS IQ. It has a padded SS backplate and single tank adapter. It works fine.

Mike D

The Transpac is a softpack. Without a tank attached it has no stiffness. It looks kind of strange, but is packs easy. Just for a frame of reference, nearly all of the Zeagle line of BC's are soft also.

Some people use the TP2 for doubles, but from what I have heard, light doubles or sidemount is the zone for the TP2. When you dive singles the TP2 will blow a backplate away for comfort and convenience.

Remember, the travel wing is singles only. You could buy a TP2, travel wing for singles and rec wing for doubles. If the TP2 harness was not up to snuff for doubles the rec wing would work with a backplate, which could be added for under $100 later.

-BlueHole-,
I have an OMS IQ with SS BP and bungee wing and like it alot. I like the way the SS BP fits into the padded back of the IQ harness and provides a solid, stable (and weighted) harness system. I have mine set up with a Koplin 6-7# weighted STA and the OMS No-Sag Pouch and Halcyon SS tank straps and its a nice rig.

I almost went the Dive Rite Transpac II, but wanted something that when I go to twins, will be solid and stable with all that weight.

This is an excellent discussion on the pros and cons of the IQ & Transpac II, thanks everyone. I am considering buying one of the two or a BP setup. I was wondering if anyone knew whether you could use one of the Halcyon wings with a built-in STA with either the IQ or the Transpac?

My Halcyon 27 wing doesn't fit on my Transpac II.
The slots for the cambands don't match up.
(FWIW I haven't dived my Transpac since I bought a BP)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom