transparency/film scanners - who uses what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi

Im using a flatbed scanner (Epson 1250 photo) with a transparency adapter. It cost me $135 US two months ago. Main use of my pics is web posting & emails. 4x6" prints also came out decent.

I do wish to have a top-of-the-line film scanner in the future like the Nikon coolscan models, but that would remain in my wish list for the time being.

Here's a sample of scanned pics. film used is fuji velvia. scanned to 600 dpi then reduced/cropped in photoshop. I hope this helps.

Originally posted by desertdiver
Im using a flatbed scanner (Epson 1250 photo) with a transparency adapter.

This is what I use also.

I currently use a Polaroid Sprint Scan 35 Plus ($1400 in early 1999, now discontinued) and I have been very pleased with the results. Newer Polaroid units seem to be of equal quality.

There is a lot of good info on scanners at Steve's Digicams Web site.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Good Luck,
John

Vlada
I have used a flat bed scanner made by Canon, D660U model for 18 months. It has a built-in slide attachment. It does 1200 dpi scans, but is not as sharp or as saturated with colour as a film scanner that I recently purchased.
This is also a Canon, a FS-4000US model. Holds four slides in mounts or 6 slides in strips and scans them in one batch. Each can be individually adjusted prior to sacnning as a batch. Scans at up to 4000dpi and is about 2/3rds the price of a Nikon 4000.
I have scanned and burnt images to CD and sent them to magazine publishers (of high quality) who have commented that the scans are perfect. In comparison one publisher said the scans from the flatbed Canon were just that - flat. They had to re-scan from slides to get good reproduction.

I have a crappy scanner, but it came with a light housing that will take negative strips and slides.

I 'rescued' from my father a ton of negatives from the 30's and 40's that where my grandfather's. Since they won't fit in the negative/slide light that I have with my scanner, I went out and purchased a slim edge light pad that fits perfectly on the scanner bed:

Slim Line Light Pad

I use a Nikon Coolscan 4000. It scans negatives and transparencies at 4000dpi. It can do a 16x pass at 14 bits per channel.

The software that came with it caused my computer to crash 37 straight times. Once I downloaded the newer version of the software, I was off and running.

The Digital ICE cubed can fix a lot of problems. I use it to get rid of dust and scratches, although it softens the image somewhat. This is much faster than using Photoshop to get rid of specs.

I use the scanning software to set my curves. That way my original TIF scan is closer to the end result I want. I then use Photoshop to adjust color cast, sharpen and final resize.

I learn something new about the scanner software every couple of months that improves the scans. If only I had the time to re-scan all those earlier slides. Sigh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom