Transplate vs other bp/w rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first day I used the Transplate. The first thing I noticed when I rigged my backup lights was that they covered the clips on the harness making adjustments difficult. Also, way too many d-rings that are not necessary. My initial thought was that the Transplate worked but appears to have some inherent issues with tech diving.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/texas-swamp-divers/308703-my-transition-doubles.html.

Carrie

Not trying to be argumentive, but I don't see any "inherent issues" with the Transplate and tech diving. I have over 100 cave dives on the transplate and have never had an issue. I dive with most of the Dive Rite guys, and I know they use it and have never had a problem either. It's not DIR, but it's not going to kill you either, I personally don't know of a case where a buckle failed, or caused any other problem.

I work for a Dive Rite dealer, and am trying to decide what kind of BC to get for Christmas. I am leaning towards a transplate with a rec wing, SS backplate, cam straps, and weight pockets. Is there anything else I need for a basic setup? I want to know if this is compatible with GUE standards, as I am considering taking the fundies course at some point. We are also a Zeagle dealer and I have seen a review for the Express Tech below. Are these at all comparable? We usually sell Rangers and Stilettos for males and Zenas for women so I have never seen one in person. From what I've seen, it doesn't look as heavy duty as the Dive Rite, but it is also substantially cheaper. I am pretty set on everything except for the transplate harness, which is where I need advice as it pertains to GUE standards. Also, is the concept of infinite adjustibility applicable to the transplate?
Thanks,
Zack

Transplate will not work for fundies, get the basic harness. I would not get the rec wing for singles, go with the Venture or Travel for singles and Classic for doubles.

I started off in a Transplate with Rec Wing.

I really didn't like how the harness attached to the plate. The slip locks they used looked to me like a point of failure. After a dozen dives, I switched to a simple 1 piece webbed harness.

I used the Rec Wing with a HP130 tank for 100+ dives. No matter what, I felt like I could never lie horizontally motionless. I felt like I would be rolled from one side or the other. One day I tried my buddies Oxycheq travel wing and my trim was perfect. I could float motionless. I tried a Travel wing and experienced the exact same thing. My conclusion was, like a few other previous posts, was the Rec Wing was WAY to big for a single tank.

If you a DR dealer, get the Travel wing and BP with the basic harness and a weight belt.

BTW, if you're a DR dealer, shouldn't you be the one doing the telling?

I just got DR SS and AL BPs and standard harness (DR one too). However for the wings I chose to go with HOG (58lb for doubles and 32lb one for singles) and I am quite happy with it.

Not trying to be argumentive, but I don't see any "inherent issues" with the Transplate and tech diving. I have over 100 cave dives on the transplate and have never had an issue. I dive with most of the Dive Rite guys, and I know they use it and have never had a problem either. It's not DIR, but it's not going to kill you either, I personally don't know of a case where a buckle failed, or caused any other problem.

I felt that having my lights over the top of the buckles was a problem. The lights did not lay down smooth and the buckles cannot be used for adjustment.

I felt that having my lights over the top of the buckles was a problem. The lights did not lay down smooth and the buckles cannot be used for adjustment.

True it's hard to adjust, but if you adjust it before you put the lights on then there is not a problem. I don't keep my lights on my harness, I put them in my drysuit pocket. Some people don't like that idea but I have never had an issue with it.

Yes.

A Hog rig is nothing more than a length of 2" webbing, four D-rings, some keepers, a belt buckle. It doesn't have to have Dive Rite, Halcyon, DSS, OMS, Oxycheq markings on it.

No, there are 2 lengths of webbing & 5 "D" rings to a Hog rig.

1 piece of webbing & 2 "D" rings for the crotch strap.

1 piece of webbing & 3 "D" rings for the harness. 1 "D" ring on each shoulder & 1 on the left hip.

True it's hard to adjust, but if you adjust it before you put the lights on then there is not a problem. I don't keep my lights on my harness, I put them in my drysuit pocket. Some people don't like that idea but I have never had an issue with it.

I felt like this defeated the whole purpose of clips. If you're putting you backup lights in your pockets, then this is a non-issue. I did like the fit of the transplate, and I'll probably use it with a singles wing for recreational diving....maybe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom