Trash or Habitat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icechip

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went diving along the harbor-side of the Rockland Breakwater yesterday and encountered many abandoned, dis-used lobster and crab traps. I have dove on the sea-side of the breakwater before and had never seen any old traps. So I was amazed at how many there were on this side and stopped counting after thirty something. Many had been there quite a while and had marine life on/in/around them. My first thought was to have our local scuba club maybe look into organizing some sort of clean-up effort or something like that, but then wondered if that might even be more harmful now? When does "trash" like this become considered part of the eco-system and the removal of it seen as not helpful but more of a detriment?

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    668.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 2c.png
    2c.png
    563.2 KB · Views: 56
As long as the trap is open and can no longer entrap organisms, I would leave them alone and find other projects to pursue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom