Travel Advice Requested (Times thru IAH Houston)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been on flights where the FA has asked everybody to stay seated for an extra 30 seconds while those with tight connections could get off the flight first and save some real time. You could go through 20% of your time standing on the plane in the aisle just trying to get off of it. You might want to ask if they'll do that for you.

CRAP!!! Not what I wanted to hear! Continental changed our return connection from 1 hr 45 to 59 minutes on our flight in a couple weeks. I've considered trying to have them switch us to the next flight after, but it will give us a 3.5 hour layover, which I wasn't thrilled about either. Although it sounds like we may be looking at that flight anyway .... for our June trip, we just decided to drive to Houston and fly. With the 3+ hour drive time, we might get back faster than any flight into Austin anyway the way things are going these days ...

Between my wife and I we fly Contin. from Coz to Houston four or five times a year and have done so for a number of years. About 30 percent of the time we have been able to make the connecting flight from Houston to Monroe if we we have the 45 minute time slot.

Most of the time we're about three quarters of the way through the line at immigration
after 45 minutes.

When we flew back home on Jan. 2 we actually had no wait time. The folks off our plane were the only ones there and every booth was being manned. We had a longer conversation with the Customs/Border officer than we did in line.

If at all possible we get the 2-3.5 hour break between planes. Even if there is a delay we always seem to have enough time.

We have 1 hr 10 min between flights going down. This is our usual flight and make it with lots of time to spare. One thing you might want to consider...you don't say where you are flying from, but we are on one of the ExpressJets out of Little Rock. These planes have a little smaller overhead bins and they may want to stow your carryon underneath in the baggage compartment. This isn't a problem for us since we have plenty of time, and usually we don't have to wait more than 5 minutes or so to get ours, but if you are in a hurry it might make a difference. Ours are the standard carry on size bags. I don't think I've ever asked them if I could just put it in the overhead though :idk: I doubt there would be any problem with a back pack or something similar.

Wow lots of great advice!

I am flying in on Express Jet from MSP (Minneapolis). I have been watching the gate patterns and they are pretty similar for the 'B' arrival and 'E' departure. But I'm definitely gonna print that map with the gate numbers on it. It is a smaller jet so getting off should be a bit quicker, it's really just up to mother nature, the plane and whether or not the crew decides to show (that's the one I hate the most - no crew).

When I check in for my first flight I'll see if they can get me something up front for the next flight, that would help alot.

Also good advice on the carry-on as I carry a carry-on sized pelican case for the camera stuff. I think it should fit that plane but I'll definitely let the FA know I'll need it back quick for a connection. Definitely not something I want to check.

Final suggestion - when you do board ask the FA for a Margarita before you take off. You most likely have earned it.
Sounds like experience talking here :)

I am so glad I read this thread.

We just booked Continental to CZM (first trip!), flying out of STL for Memorial Day weekend. We also have the 59 minutes outbound, but 3 hour + layover inbound from CZM.

Maybe I'll start training for the terminal dash by putting the backpack on and cranking up the treadmill! :D

I've been on flights where the FA has asked everybody to stay seated for an extra 30 seconds while those with tight connections could get off the flight first and save some real time. You could go through 20% of your time standing on the plane in the aisle just trying to get off of it. You might want to ask if they'll do that for you.

I agree and have been on flights they did this. In MSP tell the gate agent your problem and maybe get up front seats. But you must be at the MSP check in early or they will give the seats away to first come first served. AA releases premium seats 24 hours before flights so check on line maybe CO does too. Won't hurt to call right now either and explain to reservations supervisor, she/he may give you good seats on the first flight.

.... for our June trip, we just decided to drive to Houston and fly. With the 3+ hour drive time, we might get back faster than any flight into Austin anyway the way things are going these days ...

We do the same thing. I think we do get home faster and it's MUCH less hassle.

I wanted to thank everyone for their advice and post a follow up for anyone else taking this route to Cozumel.

The short version - at 40min layover in Houston heading to Cozumel, especially if landing at concourse B and leaving from concourse E is really tight, and very stressful. Especially if you think you can put a legal sized carryon in the overhead bin of a ExpressJet (not going to happen, costs another 5-10min). And a scheduled 90 minutes to clear customs and make the next plane barely worked for me but I could see this being far too little time if the connecting flight was at a different concourse or there was more heavy international arrivals or the first flight was late. As the other said, allow more time for this type of flight - I would have liked at least 90min layover on the way down maybe a 3hr layover on the way back.

The long version....

On the way down, the scheduled layover was extremely tight. The plane out of MSP was a ExpressJet Embraer 145. My wife (a pilot) warned me that it would push out on time but not take off on time - she was right. We sat about 100ft away from the gate for about 10min before taxi and takeoff - of course that just made me more nervous (layover now 30min). But I think the overall schedule must account for a lot of this as we landed almost exactly on time (layover back 40min). Then the taxi into the gate took quite a while (now 35min layover).

Of course, Fin59 called it. I travel with a L&M Video housing in a pelican 1510. The flight attendant let me try it in the overhead, made it in okay but door wouldn't close. So plane side check of lots of $$$$ of gear. At first no claim ticket, so I said something and the baggage guy was great, came back on the plane with my claim ticket. Anyway, moral to story even though I was first off the plane it took at least 5 minutes to get my pelican case (now only 30 min to make next flight).

So I did the mad dash half walking fast and half running. Took the tram, had to wait about 3 minutes for the tram and another 5 minutes or so before I was in the international concourse . Fate would have it, that Cozumel flight was at the furthest away gate. As I ran up they were waiting for me. I had 3min to spare. I got on, we pushed off and made Cozumel about 10min early.

If I had to guess, I think the concourse B to concourse E walk/run/tram time took me about 25 minutes. Absolutely no time for bathroom, food, etc.

Would I do that layover time again - most likely not. I'd much rather have closer to 90min or more just be safe. My wife told me that since the ExpressJet and main flight were both Continental, they would be more likely to hold the flight. So, doing this same layover with two different airlines might be even riskier.

The baggage (one checked bag) made it through no problem.

The return flight was also tight, even though I had 90min scheduled I ended up with less time than the 40min layover on the way down. We were about 20min late leaving Cozumel but they did a good job of making some of it up. When we landed I only had about 75min to make the next plane. I think it took about 60min to deplane, go through the passport entry, get bags, recheck bags and re-enter through the full security search of carryon's. This final security re-entry took the longest and had the longest lines so don't assume that the passport and baggage re-check are the worst of it. Thankfully there were no big planes arriving at the same time.

Where I got lucky on the way back was that my final leg home was on a regular jet which was also at concourse E so I left expecting the mad dash only to have to walk a short ways. Of course, they had changed the gate assignment so in the dash to get there I went to the wrong one (youch, next time take 1min to read the board). I got to the actual gate (still in concourse E) with about 10min to spare but they hadn't even started boarding yet so it was nice to be able to use the bathroom, get something to drink and then fly home.

This flight was almost $300 cheaper than the rest of my group paid for a non-stop. Was it worth it - yeah I guess but had I missed a flight, it really would have sucked.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help and I hope this info can help anyone else in a similar situation.

Martha, Michael and I also fly out of IAH. Alot less fuss.

Back
Top Bottom