Travel and integrated weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I was wondering as I am going to be getting a BCD soon:

1. If I was to get a BCD with integrated weights (which I would like to) would I be able to take weights out of the integrated weight system and then put lead weights back inside the integrated weight pockets when I get to my destination.

2. Is this the case with all BCD integrated weight systems or do they vary?

3. What is the case with airlines and allowing extra baggage allowance free for divers?

Thanks in advance for all your responses.

Greetings, and welcome! :D

A weight integrated BC simply means that there are integrated pockets to hold the weights, instead of a weight belt. The weights are very easily inserted and removed from the pockets and are not sold with the BC. I just take the BC and rent weights at my destination when I travel.

This is the case with all weight integrated BC's that I am aware of.

The case for extra baggage differs by airlines.

Regards,

Gary

Yes, you can take your weights out and put them in later. This is the case with all integrated weight systems that I know of.

Airlines will allow up to 50 lbs/bag. They will allow more if it's ONLY scuba gear. I ended up having to pay $25 extra in Nashville, and $26 in Cozumel, because my bag not only had scuba gear in it, but also clothing. (I know.... I know... Stupid, all the way around)

To be safe, keep your bag under 50 lbs.

Lead is lead. Remove it before packing your BC. After arrival, when you rent the tanks and other gear they will also provide the lead. No worries!

Most US airlines make size exemptions for divers but not weight exemptions.

Check the airlines (and connecting flights) website for particulars as they change policies frequently.

Dave

Thanks a lot for clearing this up for me.

One thing that I am still not quite sure on is when fish_whisperer said about baggage allowances, whether he meant you have to have a separate bag with Scuba gear in to check in specially?

I am guessing you have to call ahead and ask the airline for extra allowances?

Look on the websites for the airlines you plan to use. They will list how much weight you can take in your packed and carry-on bags. Be sure to measure your luggage as well because you have to pay for over-sized as well as over-weighted bags.

I'm not sure what FW means by packing his clothes in with the scuba gear. Why don't you send him a private message.

Bratface:
I'm not sure what FW means by packing his clothes in with the scuba gear. Why don't you send him a private message.

Most domestic (USA) airlines allow for oversized bags for sports gear only. If you pack other stuff in your gearbag, they do not allow over sized or overwight bags.

Again, Check the airline website for baggage restrictions.

Dave

Well, I'll explain: I was flying American Airlines. Supposedly, the bag limit for scuba gear, was 70 lbs. I packed all of my gear and still had a lot of room left, so rather than checking TWO bags, plus carrying a carry-on, I decided to put all of my stuff in my scuba gear bag. In Nashville, they charged me for my bag being over 50 lbs, when I was checking in. Grrrrr... Then, in Cozumel, they charged me $26 on the way back. I mentioned the 70 lb limit, and they said, "In your bag, is there ONLY scuba gear?" Well, they had already searched. They knew. I said that it wasn't only scuba gear. They charged me $25, + $1 for international.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom