Travel BC Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vf84pc

Reaction score
Which is the better travel BC the Seaquest Passport or the Zeagle Scout? I have heard allot of good things about the passport but i never see any postings on the Zeagle Scout.

I am sure both are nice but consider an AL plate with small wing. Nothing is smaller, tougher, lighter or more adaptable.
Didnt mean to hijack your question but I travel a lot and use the above with very good results.

Hello Jolly Roger,

Have you considered the Mares Icon? It's pretty comfortable, and packs up neatly, which can be a benefit while traveling. I just returned from a week in Kona and the Icon performed well. It looks great, too! So nice that the divemasters/guides loved the design.

The funny thing is that I use this BC full-time now, in SoCal's tropical waters. :wink: :D

A friend of mine was looking at the Mares Icon. We went to the Dive Show last weekend and had a look at one, taking the opportunity to weigh it. I was amazed. I expected something very lightweight but it came it at almost 4kg (nearly 9 pounds).
My aly backplate, harness and wing comes in at under 3.5 kg including some weight pockets and a small backup torch clipped off to the harness.

I have dived with the SeaQuest Passport, The Zeagle Scout (an older model) and have also used a Deep Sea Supply Kydex bp with their 17 lb wing. As lean and mean as the bp/wing is, the weight is about the same on my Kydex rig and the Passport. My Scout, which is an older model, is lighter than either one! Like many I prefer the modularity and fit of the bp/wing, but I must say that the little Passport and the Scout both dived great for me. The Oceanic Islander is another good looking travel BC.

Many people assume (as I did) that an aluminum or kydex bp/wing setup will be lighter than a travel BC like the Passport or the Scout, but it ain't necessarily so. I have tried and weighed all 3. If you are interested, I can give you exact weights later, but I don't have them handy as I am writing this.

Safe diving,
Thomjinx

I dove the Scout for a couple of years. It worked really well. I used the rear pockets simply for trim weights and a belt for ditchable weights. I did tend to shift a bit but it was fairly manageable. I am now looking for a BP&W however, at half the cost, the Scout is a great alternative until you get the money for something nicer.

There are several on the board who dive Scouts. Mine is one of the older, stipped down models...which I prefer. It's light, well built and in the unlikely event of problems you will not find better customer service than Zeagle. Do a search on "Scout", you will find several conversations about them.

Back
Top Bottom