travel bcd, aqualung zuma vs zeagle covert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No I'm not only looking at those two , but since I'm a beginner I didn't think I would be able to handle the switch over to a bpw set up. One other bcd I did see was a "ghost" which is more of a bpw but is preassembled so that would be an option but I am open to suggestions .

Im not sure why you think you wouldn't be able to handle a BP/W. Is it the assembly, or did someone tell you that they're more difficult to dive with?

Take a look at the Scubapro Go's. We have 3 of them. My son did have an XXS Zuma and it was too light and not robust. Just as he grew out to a XS Go it developed a hole in the bladder, I tried Aquaseal but it won't hold air overnight so it went in the bin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not to be yet another guy saying "Screw them both and get a backplate" but...

...oh wait

Yeah, do that.

You'll never look back. They're caveman sample and nigh indestructible. From one noob to another, they're no harder to dive-actually, they're easier!

After the first three dives, you'll want nothing else.

I don't think your estimation about a BP/W is correct, but if you're not going to consider them, I'd go with the Zeagle only based on my anecdotal experience with their products.

I use an aqualung Zuma XS while travelling and love it. I havent used it at home with my steel tanks as I have another older dirtier BC so oil from under the ship isnt a problem. I have no complaints and it has travelled well - not a lot of D Rings but I tend not to want to dive looking like a cutlery drawer so it suits me fine. I guess your choice should also reflect where you will be doing most of your diving - the Zeagle rep I spoke to here said he had problems at times getting parts here and also Zeagle fit is way too big for me as was the Scubapro Travel BC. Availability of spare parts with Aqualung sealed the deal for me.

the assembly and getting the sizing right

Take a look at this, it's a step-by-step assembly guide. It's easier than putting together a Lego set. Read through it and make a good estimation if it's something you think you can handle. Any of the backplate options will have similar rigging, no matter a hard plate or a soft plate like the Oxycheq Ultra Lite Travel plate.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/library/articles/harness-assembly-instructions

You may decide it's too much of a hassle. That's ok. My other recommendation still stands.

I started a similar thread months ago.. At first I settled on a DGX Single Tank BP/W, used it on my OW Pool Training and 4x Certification Dives.. Then I switched to xDEEP Ghost and been using it ever since.. It serves my needs of a Lightweight but very Durable BCD, and also very cool looking IMHO.. :D
(And now I'm selling it here in Indonesia) :D

I tried the Zeagle Covert but compared to my Stiletto, I found I liked my Stiletto better. I just purchased the Zeagle Express Tech and would suggest that if you are looking at the Covert, to seriously take a look at the Express Tech. Very similar in weight yet much more capability!

Zeagle.com lists the Covert at 3.9lbs. and the Express Tech Deluxe at 6.5lbs. A Stiletto is less than a lb. heavier than the ET.

Back
Top Bottom