Travel BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Agir-Brokk single tank wing and an aluminium plate (845 gram) Locally I dive with a 5 kg plate. This is a real nice set up, of course heavier than the Oxycheck, but a l can use the same wing always. Besides the Agir-Brokk stuff is really nicely made!

I am also looking for a travel BC, I'm now studying Mares Hybrid, does anyone have some comments on that? It takes little space and seems easy to travel with.

I'm looking into Zeagle Covert but it's quite pricey compare to Scout or Zuma or Cressi Air Travel.

Is Zeagle tougher material really matters for durability if compare to Zuma or Air Travel? I mean for normal recreational diving. Do I have to worry about wear and tear in, let's say 5 years down the road with about 2-3 dive trips per year?

For travel BCD, I have only experience with the Zuma. I have an old style (they now use heavier fabric) model with over 130 dives in about one year. The BCD has held up really well with no issues. It's light, simple, and comfortable. It's super light and easy to rinse off.

Up to recently I just used my back plate and a single wing for travel. Though I won the Bare sweepstake and it included a free Zeagle Covert. I have been using that over the last few weeks in the pool teaching and I got to say it is very nice. The whole thing rolls up to about the size of a news paper and weights almost nothing. I think they say around 4 lbs but it feels much lighter. The only down fall is I had to add a little extra weight to my normal amount to use it since I took away the plate. The weight quick release is actually just opeing the bottom of the pouch when you pull and dumping the weight and not the actual pocket which is nice if you ever have to do that you don't loose a pocket. it also has two bands making securing the tank even better then some other travel bcds I have tried with a single band. The material is very durable and feels like it would take a beaten. After several pool sessions with students I see no deterioration of it.

I would highly recommend it it felt just as natural to me as my BPW.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. In the end I went with the Zeagle Covert.My LDS gave me a good deal.

I am also looking for a travel BC, I'm now studying Mares Hybrid, does anyone have some comments on that? It takes little space and seems easy to travel with.

My wife uses the female version of the Mares Hybrid, the Hybrid MRS, and I use the new 2013 version of the Cressi Travel Light. Overall I think the Mares is a nicer BCD overall. It has more lift, has a sturdier build, and has many comfort features. The Mares has an awesome set of shoulder straps very comfortable suspension system in the back.

However the Cressi takes much less space. When packing our gear, my Cressi Travel Light, size Large takes maybe 1/3rd of the space than her extra-small Mares. I'm very happy with my Cressi though as well. We're warm water divers only so the ~30lbs of lift is plenty for me, I find it comfortable enough, and feel it will last long enough based on the price I paid.

Between the two I'd tell you to decide if comfort is more important than travel convenience. The Cressi Travel Light or ScubaPro GO will be easier to travel with, but the Mares will be a more comfortable BCD.

What benefits are you are hoping a "travel BC" will provide you?

Back
Top Bottom