Travel/pool rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Tobin, I'm heading to San Andres in November, and am interested in a new single tank rig. So far my single tank rig has been a 30# Apeks wing on either my SS Dive Rite plate or my al HOG plate. I have a couple questions, I'm about 6 foot 2, do I need the large or the long? As for the wing, what is the advantages of the Travel 17, the Torus 17, or the LCD 20 for a compact wing? What info do you need to be sure that the 17 to 20 # wing would be enough for me with an al80, and at most a 3mm wetsuit. Finally, will the Travel 17, stand up to chlorine and be a decent pool wing for when I'm helping with students?

Thanks,
Jim

Hi Tobin, I'm heading to San Andres in November, and am interested in a new single tank rig. So far my single tank rig has been a 30# Apeks wing on either my SS Dive Rite plate or my al HOG plate. I have a couple questions, I'm about 6 foot 2, do I need the large or the long? As for the wing, what is the advantages of the Travel 17, the Torus 17, or the LCD 20 for a compact wing? What info do you need to be sure that the 17 to 20 # wing would be enough for me with an al80, and at most a 3mm wetsuit. Finally, will the Travel 17, stand up to chlorine and be a decent pool wing for when I'm helping with students?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,

At 6'2" tall I'd recommend a Large plate, if you are normally proportioned, not all legs or all Torso.

I need t know what the most buoyant exposure suit you will be using, and what tanks you will be using to recommend a wing.

As far as chlorine resistance I would not expect any great difference between a single bladder type wing (TTW) or a double layer wing like all the rest we offer. Chlorine is not great for any of them.

Keep in mind that the construction technique used for the TTW is essentially the same method used to build most jacket BC's

Tobin

Well the most buoyant suit I would be wearing this with, would be at most a 3mm wetsuit, I'm not sure how buoyant that suit would be. I would also be using an al80, or steel 72 with this set. Most of the time it would be the al80.

Well the most buoyant suit I would be wearing this with, would be at most a 3mm wetsuit, I'm not sure how buoyant that suit would be. I would also be using an al80, or steel 72 with this set. Most of the time it would be the al80.

With a 3mm suit and al 80 you need about 8 lbs of ballast. Most 3mm suits are about +4 lbs. An empty 80 is ~+4.

A SS plate and harness provides about 6 lbs and a reg is about -2.

With a 72 you need about 4 lbs of ballast. A SS plate and reg will overweight you by about 4 lbs. A Kydex plate would solve this problem.

A 17 wing is sufficient with either.

Tobin

Perfect, I was planning on the Kydex plate anyhow, to keep the weight down in my luggage.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom