Travel Route to Playa del Carmen by Car from the US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

espantoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, my In Laws will be moving to Playa del Carmen and will be driving everything down there from Pennsylvania. They are looking for suggestions from any "frequent fliers" who drive back and forth regularly from the US. They were most curious to get advice on the best route, stop overs/hotels, places for gas, ect. Their main concern is navigating Northern Mexico on their way to the Yucatan. Thanks!

Are you sure you don't want to look into shipping everything via a commercial importer/exporter? Not wishing to be disparaging to our Southern neighbors, but the civil unrest in Mexico may complicate your plans to self-move.

Sounds dangerous

One of the dive shops in Austin used to run a trip into central Mexico to a place called Media de Luna. The trip went through the Laredo crossing down to Monterrey. Fantastic trip that takes you very far off the tourist trail into a part of Mexico where the locals vacation.

They don't do that anymore because to risk is too high. BTW, McAllen is much worse right now.

Now IF they have to make the trip, figure on an extended stay at customs in Nuevo Laredo. I would layover in San Antonio, get an early start and be sure to hire a local "expert" to guide them through the process. After that, stay on the toll road and run like hell to Saltillo. This if the same highway where two US embassy officials were assassinated. Once you are past Saltillo, the risks drop somewhat.

I concur, I live right on the border here in Brownsville, Texas and have made the trip south to Quinta Roo a few times many years ago. It used to be something done without a second thought, now it is not something I'd do at all. The organization I work for owns two field stations about 6 hours south of here in the northern-most cloud forests of Mexico. We've been traveling there for the past 60 years, taking highschool and college kids down on field trips. We haven't visited in over 5 years.

Our neighboring state of Tamaulipas has been the epicenter of violence in northern Mexico for the last few years. Countless hijackings, kidnappings, and murders. Many which have occurred along major highways where the cartels setup their own checkpoints. If you must go, get to the bridge as early as possible--before day break--so that you can get all the required paperwork done and then just focus on getting south to Veracruz as fast as you possibly can. Once you're down towards the southern Gulf, things calm down considerably and the rest of the trip should be a breeze. Don't dabble on the way.

Odds are, you'll be fine, but you're taking a considerable risk that if something happens, it could be life threatening. What kind of vehicle will you be taking? You may find at the border crossings, while filling out all the appropriate costumes forms, that you're approached by members of the various cartels inquiring where you're headed and requesting a fee to insure safe passage through their "territories." I've heard mixed reports of this, most people pay it, but it's questionable as to whether or not it's a real thing or just individuals taking advantage of the situation...

I love Mexico and I still visit regularly as many parts--such as the Yucatan peninsula--are very safe, I just don't drive anymore...

As a native Texan living close to the Mexican border I suggest you have everything shipped and fly down...the drug wars along the border and civil unrest is not the place you want to be in the middle of...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom