Travel Weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Oy. How do you do it? :confused:

I'm traveling to Thailand in 3 weeks, and bringing some gear for some diving.

Thai airlines has a weigh restriction of 44 lbs for checked luggage.

I just bought a handy little luggage scale.

I figured I would bring the minimum gear possible (it seems to me) to dive in a meaningful way: mask, fins, bcd, regs, computer, 10w can light and camera gear (P&S, housing, strobe).

So, thats:

1) prescription mask,
2) OMS slipstream fins (lighter than Jets!)
3) Long hose singles regs
4) Computer and backup (negligible weight)
5) Fully-rigged bp/w (aluminum plate)
6) Pocket weight belt (empty, fairly negligible weight)
7) A mesh bag to put it all in

I weighed my full bp/w rig: Halcyon SS plate (I have an aluminum plate coming, so I know I can knock off 3#) with unweighted STA (old style, very light), cam bands and MC pack, small Titanium knife, Photon Torpedo backup light, and OxyCheq Mach V 30# wing. (I tend to leave everything rigged up ready to rock.) The full rig weighed 14 lbs, although that will drop down to 11 once I get the Aluminum plate. Still, 11 lbs!

My long hose regs (currently set up for doubles, so drop a good pound once the second 1st stage comes off for singles config) plus my dive computer and compass came in at 10lbs (again, which will go to 9 once I lose the extra 1st stage). Still, 9 lbs!

My fins are 6 lbs; I haven't weighed my booties.

Add in an Akona mesh bag (3lbs), a pair of booties, a pocket weight belt, my mask, and weigh all of the above together: 36 lbs, actually (take out the 4 pounds for the stuff mentioned above that will be removed), 32 lbs!

THIRTY-TWO POUNDS?!?!? If I pick up an ultra light 8 lb suitcase, that puts me right at 40 lbs, 4 lbs shy of the limit and dangerously close to the point where you need to leave at least a couple of pounds for little differences in scales, damp gear, etc! And I haven't even added my camera gear (<8lbs) and 10w canister light (<5lbs)!

Now, it's not quite as bad as it seems, since I'll actually be carrying on my regs, computer, mask (prescription), and possibly the can light and photo gear. That takes a lot out right there. I may be able to swap in a cheaper, lighter mesh bag and save what, a pound? Perhaps I could be persuaded to leave behind my backup light (perhaps!), and save another pound? Or less if I switch to my mini Q40 eLED instead of the PT?

Which is good, because I haven't added in clothing, toiletries, suntan lotion... or anything else I may need.

I'm flying Thai Airlines. Domestic flights (for instance, Bangkok to Phuket) have different luggage allowances than international flights, say, LAX to Bangkok. Therein lies the problem. I'm allowed a decent amount, something like 70 lbs, for the flight from here to Bangkok. The problem is we're jumping around the country a bit on smaller domestic flights, Bangkok to Chiang Mei and to Phuket. There, the domestic (smaller plane) allowances kick in, and unless I'm leaving luggage on the street behind in Bangkok, I'm stuck with the smaller domestic allowance. At least we'll be able to buy some souvenirs in Bangkok for the flight home, though. :)

I am allowed one 15.4 lb carry-on (I intend to violate this in every way possible by seriously loading some monster size pockets!):
How many pieces of carry-on luggage am I allowed?
Each passengers may hand-carry one piece luggage the sum of whose dimensions (length+ height + width) does not exceed 115 cm. ( 56 + 46 + 25 cm) (44.85 inches, i.e. 21.5 x 18 x 9.75 inches) and which does not weigh more than seven kg. (15.4 lbs). Pieces exceeding these dimensions must be checked in at the Check-in counter prior to departure. A woman is allowed to carry a purse as well.
I am allowed 44 lbs of checked luggage (doesn't say how many bags, but presumably one will be plenty!):

How much luggage am I allowed to check?
The luggage allowance for ... Economy Class passengers: 20 kg. (44 lb.).
For travel To/from Canada and the U.S.A., the following regulations apply:
Passengers in all classes of service, from First to Economy, are allowed two pieces of luggage. The sum of the three dimensions (length + height + width) for each piece cannot exceed 158 cm. (62 inches) and the weight of each piece cannot exceed 32 kgs. (70 lbs).

A friend suggested checking two half-empty bags, but the issue with that (obviously we're only talking about the international flights at this point) is that most real full-size luggage, I'm discovering, weighs about 10 lbs or more, so unless I want nearly half of my luggage allowance to be used for the luggage itself, I need to stick to one. I'm probably going to buy either Victorinox or Eagle Creek bags, as their bags are pretty much lightest in class, for the size. Since there's no way I can fill it full and stay under 44 lbs, I should have plenty of extra room for fun stuff on the return (as long as I buy it in Bangkok on the last day *sigh*).

NOW. I'm not traveling alone, thank god. It's still going to be tough to cram all our respective needs, and all of my dive gear, into the two bags. Thank goodness she doesn't dive! I'll have to decide later or not if we have the weight space to bring her mask and fins for snorkeling, however. (I got her pretty lightweight Mares Quattros, so not too bad there)

So how do people do this? Seems to me I've done nearly everything I could to reduce weight, but it's still pretty horrifying heavy when put together in even this fairly minimal configuration.

I take a dive bag, and an "everything else" bag. I'm on Thai Airways in 8 days so I'm mulling over what to put in as well. When the dive bag is too heavy I shove stuff into the other bag which always has a lot of excess weight capacity. Don't skimp on the dive stuff. remember clothes toiletries etc can all be purchased in Thailand. Take the bare minimum with you, less is better. Your allowed a laptop and a carry on each, fill it up with clothes that you just have to have with you. I frequently buy clothes in Thailand at the night markets, cheap and disposable, only take them home if there's room. Even in the shops I think t shirts will set you back $3-4 roughly. Bring washable stuff, it's hot and stuff dries fast, hand wash in the bathroom sink and you only need 2 sets of clothes. I've never had Thai weigh my carry on, they seem to be size concious. It just has to fit under the seat in front of you, if it's full of clothes it's soft and pliable and you can get it in there! Have fun!!!

A couple of suggestions for your domestic flights.
If you have a membership with Star Alliance, fly Thai Air domestically (RT from BK-Phuket approx. 200$), and tell them that you are connecting after a Thai int'l flight with your sports gear (diving). Unless you are 10-20 lbs. over, they will just let you get away with up to 60 lbs. total for checked luggage.
Alternatively, there are 2 domestic budget airlines that give much better weight allowance, NokAir.com – Thailand premium low cost, low fare airlines (Nok Plus class gives you 30kg or 66 lbs.), and One Two GO Airlines (20kg or 44 lbs.). They charge just about 1$ per lb. if you go over the allowance. It's not as bad as you think... However, avoid Air Asia because they are very strict with baggage allowance, especially for domestic flights.
Hope that helps a little in planning your trip.

Thanks for the tips... we're long since locked into Thai air, but I'll have to give them a call to see about the baggage allowance thing given the larger international allowances...

Oy. How do you do it? :confused:

I'm traveling to Thailand in 3 weeks, and bringing some gear for some diving.

Thai airlines has a weigh restriction of 44 lbs for checked luggage.

I just bought a handy little luggage scale.

I figured I would bring the minimum gear possible (it seems to me) to dive in a meaningful way: mask, fins, bcd, regs, computer, 10w can light and camera gear (P&S, housing, strobe).

So, thats:

1) prescription mask,
2) OMS slipstream fins (lighter than Jets!)
3) Long hose singles regs
4) Computer and backup (negligible weight)
5) Fully-rigged bp/w (aluminum plate)
6) Pocket weight belt (empty, fairly negligible weight)
7) A mesh bag to put it all in

I weighed my full bp/w rig: Halcyon SS plate (I have an aluminum plate coming, so I know I can knock off 3#) with unweighted STA (old style, very light), cam bands and MC pack, small Titanium knife, Photon Torpedo backup light, and OxyCheq Mach V 30# wing. (I tend to leave everything rigged up ready to rock.) The full rig weighed 14 lbs, although that will drop down to 11 once I get the Aluminum plate. Still, 11 lbs!

My long hose regs (currently set up for doubles, so drop a good pound once the second 1st stage comes off for singles config) plus my dive computer and compass came in at 10lbs (again, which will go to 9 once I lose the extra 1st stage). Still, 9 lbs!

My fins are 6 lbs; I haven't weighed my booties.

Add in an Akona mesh bag (3lbs), a pair of booties, a pocket weight belt, my mask, and weigh all of the above together: 36 lbs, actually (take out the 4 pounds for the stuff mentioned above that will be removed), 32 lbs!

THIRTY-TWO POUNDS?!?!? If I pick up an ultra light 8 lb suitcase, that puts me right at 40 lbs, 4 lbs shy of the limit and dangerously close to the point where you need to leave at least a couple of pounds for little differences in scales, damp gear, etc! And I haven't even added my camera gear (<8lbs) and 10w canister light (<5lbs)!

Now, it's not quite as bad as it seems, since I'll actually be carrying on my regs, computer, mask (prescription), and possibly the can light and photo gear. That takes a lot out right there. I may be able to swap in a cheaper, lighter mesh bag and save what, a pound? Perhaps I could be persuaded to leave behind my backup light (perhaps!), and save another pound? Or less if I switch to my mini Q40 eLED instead of the PT?

Which is good, because I haven't added in clothing, toiletries, suntan lotion... or anything else I may need.

I'm flying Thai Airlines. Domestic flights (for instance, Bangkok to Phuket) have different luggage allowances than international flights, say, LAX to Bangkok. Therein lies the problem. I'm allowed a decent amount, something like 70 lbs, for the flight from here to Bangkok. The problem is we're jumping around the country a bit on smaller domestic flights, Bangkok to Chiang Mei and to Phuket. There, the domestic (smaller plane) allowances kick in, and unless I'm leaving luggage on the street behind in Bangkok, I'm stuck with the smaller domestic allowance. At least we'll be able to buy some souvenirs in Bangkok for the flight home, though. :)

I am allowed one 15.4 lb carry-on (I intend to violate this in every way possible by seriously loading some monster size pockets!):
I am allowed 44 lbs of checked luggage (doesn't say how many bags, but presumably one will be plenty!):

A friend suggested checking two half-empty bags, but the issue with that (obviously we're only talking about the international flights at this point) is that most real full-size luggage, I'm discovering, weighs about 10 lbs or more, so unless I want nearly half of my luggage allowance to be used for the luggage itself, I need to stick to one. I'm probably going to buy either Victorinox or Eagle Creek bags, as their bags are pretty much lightest in class, for the size. Since there's no way I can fill it full and stay under 44 lbs, I should have plenty of extra room for fun stuff on the return (as long as I buy it in Bangkok on the last day *sigh*).

NOW. I'm not traveling alone, thank god. It's still going to be tough to cram all our respective needs, and all of my dive gear, into the two bags. Thank goodness she doesn't dive! I'll have to decide later or not if we have the weight space to bring her mask and fins for snorkeling, however. (I got her pretty lightweight Mares Quattros, so not too bad there)

So how do people do this? Seems to me I've done nearly everything I could to reduce weight, but it's still pretty horrifying heavy when put together in even this fairly minimal configuration.

C/Dude, if you book round trip from the USA, normally you are allowed 2 checked suitcases at 44 lbs each. The key is booking from the USA and round trip.

The 15 lb limit on the carry-on is a safety rule, which I have run into before.

I usually bring a heavy, hard protective suitcase for my gear, and another soft doffel style bag with my clothes, and check both pieces. To even out the weight between the two, I will normally put my backplate and wing into the doffel, and also my 3mm wetsuit as well. Reef booties and hood can go into the doffel as well.

Then my carry-on can be small and light, with only my camera, computer(s), and lights. The filaments in your lights probably cannot survive the banging around of checked luggage. But you can put your batteries into your checked luggage to lighten the lights in your carry-on.

Have fun!

C/Dude, if you book round trip from the USA, normally you are allowed 2 checked suitcases at 44 lbs each. The key is booking from the USA and round trip.

Thanks for the tips... I intend to call the airline to confirm this, but the issue isn't the flight from LAX to Bangkok or the return, it's the mid-week domestic flights from Bangkok to Chiang Mei and then, days later, the flight from Chiang Mei to Phuket, and days later still, the flight from Phuket back to Bangkok. Once we're in Bangkok, the rules change, since it's a genuine international flight situation once again.

International, no problem:
For travel To/from Canada and the U.S.A., the following regulations apply:
Passengers in all classes of service, from First to Economy, are allowed two pieces of luggage. The sum of the three dimensions (length + height + width) for each piece cannot exceed 158 cm. (62 inches) and the weight of each piece cannot exceed 32 kgs. (70 lbs).

Domestic, could be a problem... no mention of two bags. I still need to confirm verbally, but it would be BAD to be wrong:

How much luggage am I allowed to check?
The luggage allowance for [-]Royal First Class is 40 kg. (88 lbs.); for Royal Executive Class passengers: 30 kg. (66 lbs.); and for[/-] Economy Class passengers: 20 kg. (44 lb.).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom