Travel Wing or Venture Wing for Transpac II???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Austin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everybody. I have a Transpac II with a Trek wing and am looking for the most compact, stable wing available. The Travel Wing looks nice, but is it stable at depth? Any opinions either way?

My dive buddy uses a TransPac II with the Travel wing, and hasn't had any issues. It's stable at depth, and she's been in the following conditions:

- Fresh water, 3mm, 75-82 degres, LP95
- Salt water, 3mm - nothing, 78-80 degrees, AL80
- Salt water, drysuit, 57 degrees, LP95

That said, since we're going to be doing more cold salt water diving, we are considering a more rugged wing with a little more lift. It's rated at 30#s, but when donning and doffing gear on the surface in said cold salt water, It doesn't seem like 30#s. However, she didn't have any problems keeping her head out of above water in chop and long surface swims.

So for warm water / tropical diving, the Travel Wing is great. For cold water diving, it seems to work (4 dives so far), but we're not 100% comfortable.

Thanks alot ae3753! The trek wing works great for colder water single tanks, look into it. Any other opinions?

I've got one for my pond diving... works fine in 72 degree water, 5mm wetsuit, and 16lbs weight. Tons of people use the things for the subtropics and tropics, it's very popular. I haven't personally taken mine done to depth, but I know lots of people that have. No problems reported.

Thanks archman! Has anybody encountered issues of it being hard to vent air? I know with the Trek wing, because the two "sides" aren't joined it's difficult to use the back dump valve. Is the travel wing easier to do this with?

I have the travel wing and have used it both with 3mm and 5mm wetsuits. I have never had any problems with it using it in many dives over 30 meters. As it has the donut shape and is therefore connected both top and bottom dumping air has also never been a problem.

Kim:
I have the travel wing and have used it both with 3mm and 5mm wetsuits. I have never had any problems with it using it in many dives over 30 meters. As it has the donut shape and is therefore connected both top and bottom dumping air has also never been a problem.

Torus-bladders are WONDERFUL. The VentureWing is also designed this way, not just the TravelWing.

Actually both the Travel and the Venture have the same lift - 30lbs/14Kg. As far as I can tell the only real difference is that the Venture is more closely designed to use with a BP.

I actually dive the Trek wing, and between the Trek and the Travel, I prefer the donut shape of the Travel. Significantly easier to use to dump air since you only have to make sure that that dump is at the highest point. As opposed to the horseshoe, which you may have to roll the air around a little first. Since we try to dive with the least amount of weight possible, being able to get that last little bit of air out is important.

In addition to being able to fit a BP, the Venture has a ballistic nylon shell while the Travel has an elastic shell.

Thanks you guys, I found a retailer nearby with a Travelwing, I'll check it out tomorrow. By the way, should I buy it from Leisurepro or a similar discount store. Are the prices different? I know about the aquarium industry alot but not the dive industry as well. The only benefit of getting it local is they can service it right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom