Traveling from Moalboal to Dumaguete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melissabeads

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I and our two friends will be traveling from Moalboal to Dumaguete in early July. Our travel day is also our anniversary. I was thinking of diving with the whale sharks in Oslob along the way to make the day special.

Is this doable? If so, any recommendations of how to make this work logistically? I am concerned about our luggage while diving as we will be in transition as well as obtaining transportation there that will either wait for us or finding two different means ( one from Moalboal to Oslob and then Oslob to on) My resort in Moalboal wasn't very helpful.

Also, if there is anything else to do or see along the way, I would love to hear it.

Thanks!

Great idea....but will you feel certain that your passports etc are completely safe ?

Two boats go across to Negros...one can carry vehicles , but this was broken when we were there. So the only option was for us to go as foot passengers on the smaller boat....which was fine. If this is the case again you will have to travel with wet scuba gear.

We have stayed withTurtle Bay and dived Oslob with them twice...it was a wonderful experience. the above are just random thoughts.

Thanks Tippytoes!

Wet gear I think we can handle, though it might be too wet?! Hmmmm... Passports/money and luggage are definitely a concern since we will not have a hotel. I had considered getting a hotel and just use it to store gear in for the day and not actually sleep there? Maybe we should think of something else to do along the way and just do the Whale Sharks a different morning.

Any other ideas of what to see along the way?

You should ask the dive operator in Moalboal for information.
I belive most operators will arrange the trip if there is enough demand. But if you are willing to charter the transport then I do not foresee any problem. Ask the driver to drop you off at Santender for the short ferry to Sibulan after the whaleshark encounter.

Hi there, yes leaving the bags is a main issue. Now depending on how much time you are planning to stay in Dumaguete, you also have to option of doing a day trip to the Oslob whalesharks with some of the diveshops there. Like this all your stuff is safe, plus you have the oppurtunity to dive for 1 hour with them, rather than just snorkeling for 30 mins. The distance by diveboat is around 1.5 urs and if you go by diveboat, you can make a second dive at Sumilon Island which is just nearby. I would recommend contacting some of the diveshops particularly in the Dauin area to check if or when they have a trip going. Worst case scenario is when there are no diveboats going there, you can still make the trip in half a day from dumaguete. Travel time is around 1.5hours as well.

I think you'd have a more enjoyable day in general if you just moved fast between the 2 locations and leave the diving for days when your belongings are locked up safely in your hotel room. It means you don't have to check out in Moalboal too early, and you get to the next resort with time to relax and enjoy it before the sun goes down!!

Great tips! Thank you! I hadn't thought of doing the whalesharks as a dive from Duain. That is perfect, especially with the second dive at Sumilon! Problem solved! :)

Agree with above...also, you would need to hit the road pretty early in the day to swim with the ws and still catch the ferry, but it can be done.

We are in Dauin now at Pura Vida (having just stayed at Turtle Bay) and done the whale sharks from there) and I would agree to do it from Dauin would be best.

consider skipping the whale sharks until you are in a place where they appear, remain, feed, and continue with their natural migration. the whale shark feeding and industry in oslob is disgraceful. my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom