Traveling to US from India, would like to dive with Sharks in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed. Jupiter or West Palm for you. For the best bet for "big fish" will be Jupiter or a dive op out of WPB that is headed North (Narcosis often does Northern sites). I know Jim Abernathy Scuba Adventures will do their best, depending on weather conditions, to dive a requested site but you need to be the first one to book on that day to make the specific site request. Other operators may do this as well. Ask for Shark Canyon. For a wreck and possibly Goliath Grouper, ask for Zion Train. For drift dives, either Jupiter or WPB is excellent. The dives out of Jupiter average a little deeper than WPB and I like the reefs in WPB better than Jupiter. Make sure you do the Blue Heron Bridge too.

No advice for DSD for your wife. Sorry.

Ditto, Go to Jupiter for Goliaths and sharks.

Search all the reports in Jupiter for all the pictures of what you'll see. Also the Best Western and La Quinta give diver's discounts on rates. Just ask your dive boat and they will give you the details for usually even better rates than the internet shows.

This looks so cool! Do we get to touch these fish?

---------- Post added October 2nd, 2013 at 12:22 AM ----------

Guys,

Thanks for all the info. I have another question.

What if I get a chance to Visit Bahamas for a day on 2 Day Cruise for $100? Would you guys go for that or just use that time and money to dive more in florida. Note that I have never been on a cruise before

Celebration Cruise Line

This looks so cool! Do we get to touch these fish?

---------- Post added October 2nd, 2013 at 12:22 AM ----------

Guys,

Thanks for all the info. I have another question.

What if I get a chance to Visit Bahamas for a day on 2 Day Cruise for $100? Would you guys go for that or just use that time and money to dive more in florida. Note that I have never been on a cruise before

Celebration Cruise Line

imkeshav: first of all, you really shouldn't touch fish, turtles, sharks, etc.

I've not tried the Celebration ship but have been thinking about it. Note that it is really small for a cruise ship: its essentially a hand-me-down from a bigger operator that a local Florida investor purchased a few years ago. That's not to say it won't be fun, but its not the same as one of those large cruise ships that are so common these days.

If your goal is to dive, I'd stick with Florida: we have some great diving as Guy pointed out. I spent a week diving in the Bahamas this last summer (~18 dives) and while I really enjoyed the experience living and diving off a sail boat, if I were in seach of big animals, I'd stay in Jupiter or WPB. You'd probably get an additional 6-10 dives in if you stay in Florida rather than taking the cruise. If your goal is to party or just have fun on a cruise ship, go for the Celebration cruise. I think you can buy an additional scuba package through the cruise line but it is for shallow reef dives so you probably won't see the big animals you are hoping to see.

Enjoy your trip

Looking at a different direction, if you're going to be in Gainesville, don't forget fresh water springs.

Check with Bird's Underwater at Crystal River for a morning manatee snorkel trip to Three Sisters Spring that your wife might also enjoy. In the afternoon you both could dive/snorkel the Rainbow River nearby.

If you're feeling really adventurous, perhaps someone can take you on a cavern dive like the Devils Den or Paradise Springs.

Both would be daytrips from Gainesville.

Hey Thanks All

I've talked to Adam at JDC

Here are the problems
- There is no transportation options from Gainsville to Jupiter and I will not have a license to rent my own car (coming from India)
- Closest Airport is West Palm Beach but flights are very expensive and limited.
- my wife wants to do a DSD, but they have an option to take her to only 3 meters at the Blue Heron Bridge

So Key Largo looks like is a safe bet/better option. I can fly into Miami,take a shuttle to Key Largo and stay there for 3-4 days and then I'm flying to SFO to stay with friends in San Jose. I will probably miss the big fish down at the Key Largo, but hopefully the clear warm waters and nicer reefs will make up for it

What do you think?

Honestly even with going to various places you are not guaranteed to see "big fish" . There is a guy that runs something called a creature feature in key largo. He may be able to show you some animals.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4

A discover diving at the bridge is a cool dive. She will see a lot of stuff, but not the pretty blue water and lots of corals. It is not an ocean dive.

But, given your options, and constraints, sounds like Key Largo is a better bet. You may see a shark or two and a goliath grouper. Heck, even a school of snook are big to somebody who has never seen them.
the creature feature Mermaid referred to is with Captain Slate. Good luck with your adventure.

http://captainslate.com/cf.html I have never done this but seems like you might be able to see what you are looking for. I love Keys Largo and believe you will enjoy diving there. Many great operators.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4

Since you're flying into SFO, the airport is less than 20 miles SE of the Farallon Islands. You could be in the water with some gorgeous great white sharks. The problem is that no ops go there so no cages or any of that sissy stuff - just you in water that is a little green and murky and full of seals. In the Great White Book of Tasty Treats, you might be listed in the Indian food section.

Now that said, on one of your next trips, if you get to the San Diego area, you could actually dive with great whites off Guadalupe in reasonably clear blue water AND a cage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom