Traveling to US from India, would like to dive with Sharks in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Thanks All

So Key Largo looks like is a safe bet/better option. I can fly into Miami,take a shuttle to Key Largo and stay there for 3-4 days and then I'm flying to SFO to stay with friends in San Jose. I will probably miss the big fish down at the Key Largo, but hopefully the clear warm waters and nicer reefs will make up for it

What do you think?

I never seem to see big stuff in Key except on the wrecks, but that is not everyone's experience. See post #16 in this thread: Reefman sees reef sharks often enough to get good pictures: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...ing-key-largo-rainbow-reef-dive-center-2.html

Since you won't have a car, make sure you stay at a hotel that is walking distance to a shop. Most people get around in the Keys by driving. Some shops have packaged deals as well: so you should check that out. I always have a car and the location of a hotel is not important so I don't pay a lot of attention to which dive ops are near hotels and can't offer suggestions: if you do a search of this forum, you should find some recommendations of hotels/dive operators or just ensure you ask as you call around to talk with shops.

make sure you stay at a hotel that is walking distance to a shop. Most people get around in the Keys by driving. Some shops have packaged deals as well: so you should check that out.

You should check with Rainbow Reef Dive Center. Here's the link to their website:
Dive Key Largo, Florida Keys with Rainbow Reef Dive Center;scuba diving:diving, Florida keys, florida diving

They offer great prices on packages with lodging and diving. There are several participating hotels around the marina, the closest being the Courtyard by Marriot, which is on the property where Rainbow Reef is located...simply go downstairs and you're there!

Hi:

You will probably see some sharks diving off of Jupiter, Florida. Jupiter is very close to the gulf stream; hence, bigger fish. I went diving last Saturday, Oct. 5th with Jupiter Dive Center. Nice people, pleasant dive, great dive shop. Video of my Saturday dive trip.

Video link: The Dream Is Always The Same on Vimeo

http://jupiterdivecenter.com/

Gulf stream:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...a=X&ei=ScBTUuiuJYi69QTi-ID4DA&ved=0CF4Q9QEwBg

Have fun!

Jupiter...Try and hook up with Randy Jordan of Emerald Dive Charters. Awesome guy and he knows a lot about where the sharks are.

Jupiter...Try and hook up with Randy Jordan of Emerald Dive Charters. Awesome guy and he knows a lot about where the sharks are.

I agree and disagree with Dive_Gypsy's recommendation regarding Emerald Charters.
You stand a GREAT chance of seeing sharks with them.
Large Jewfish, and all sorts of other animals.
I have been out with Randy several times and it is ALWAYS a memorable experience,
BUT.....
That particular operator (Emerald Charters) tends to serve very advanced hunters/divers.
I see in your profile that you are a newer dver, unless your profile is outdated.
If you are not a strong diver as yet, you may be able to hire a personal DM for a trip with them.
Otherwise, stick to an operator in Palm Beach that has an in water DM, as there are several, and Key Largo is also a good choice.
In Key Largo I would stay in a place where you can walk to shopping for food, drink, groceries, and a dive boat. That is pretty easily done.
I guess the same goes for Riviera Beach.

Chug
Happy that everyone hates Broward, even though I get "Mugged" on a regular basis by Sandbar, Caribbean Reef, Bull, and the occasional Hammerhead...... sharks.

Here are the problems
- There is no transportation options from Gainsville to Jupiter

Hold up there partner............Gainesville Bus service. Bus to Gainesville. Buy bus tickets | Red Coach USA

Very comfortable, almost brand new buses with nice comfortable seats and even WiFi on board so you can post your pictures for us to see. Very economical prices, good schedules and they run from the top of Florida down to Miami. Then there's that Key's bus I always see, but I don't know the name on it. Maybe one of our Key's posters can provide a link to that one for you.

Hold up there partner............Gainesville Bus service. Bus to Gainesville. Buy bus tickets | Red Coach USA

Very comfortable, almost brand new buses with nice comfortable seats and even WiFi on board so you can post your pictures for us to see. Very economical prices, good schedules and they run from the top of Florida down to Miami. Then there's that Key's bus I always see, but I don't know the name on it. Maybe one of our Key's posters can provide a link to that one for you.

here's three reliable ground transportation options to the florida keys,,

Key West Shuttle, Key West Transportation, Florida Keys Shuttle, Florida Keys Transportation, Key Largo Shuttle, Islamorada Shuttle, Miami Airport Shuttle, Ft Lauderdale Airport Shuttle, Miami Airport Transportation, Ft Lauderdale Airport Transportat
Greyhound.com | Home
Airport Transportation Shuttle Services Miami Key West Fort Lauderdale FL

reefman
key largo

I agree and disagree with Dive_Gypsy's recommendation regarding Emerald Charters.
You stand a GREAT chance of seeing sharks with them.
Large Jewfish, and all sorts of other animals.
I have been out with Randy several times and it is ALWAYS a memorable experience,
BUT.....
That particular operator (Emerald Charters) tends to serve very advanced hunters/divers.
I see in your profile that you are a newer dver, unless your profile is outdated.
If you are not a strong diver as yet, you may be able to hire a personal DM for a trip with them.
Otherwise, stick to an operator in Palm Beach that has an in water DM, as there are several, and Key Largo is also a good choice.
In Key Largo I would stay in a place where you can walk to shopping for food, drink, groceries, and a dive boat. That is pretty easily done.
I guess the same goes for Riviera Beach.

Chug
Happy that everyone hates Broward, even though I get "Mugged" on a regular basis by Sandbar, Caribbean Reef, Bull, and the occasional Hammerhead...... sharks.

I agree about Emerald. I like diving with Randy, but I would only recommend him to very experienced divers. Strong current, diving at the edge of standard recreational limits, and if he's bringing the sharks in they WILL get up close and personal. It's a marked step up in difficulty from my usual West Palm routines, and I have a relatively short list of dive buddies I'd take with me.

The various Riviera Beach ops are my more usual go-to for shark diving. I've seen enough reefies there that it's par for the course; still holding out for a great hammerhead or tiger encounter one of these days. I've actually been on those dives, but not in the right damned place or looking the right way apparently ...

Hey All,

Thanks for the great inputs. My trip plan was getting changed very frequently and now this looks like the final itinerary, so thanks for bearing with me till now.

Background: I'm PADI AOW certified with 15 dives experience, my wife wants to do a DSD. We are visting USA for 4 weeks, 3 weeks in Florida and last week of November in San Jose, CA (Is there any diving in CA?)

I'm now in Gainesville and have a car. But I'm new to driving in US, so taking it easy.

I'm in Gainesville, FL till Nov 22. So need a close diving option for this weekend (Nov 16-17), hopefully an open water dive site within a 2 hour dive from GNV. Is there any option better than going to one of the springs?

On Nov22, I will be taking the Red Coach bus to West Palm Beach to stay with a cousin. Nov 23, Saturday is the only day I can try diving, either in WPB or Jupiter. I'm flying out of Miami the next Morning 9am

From what I understood till now
Both WPB and Jupiter are good for diving and have a good chance of seeing big fish or a shark. WPB is preferred for a drift dive. Although weather may turn bad/windy at any time in WPB - does the same weather apply for Jupiter as well considering they are close to each other?

I have a chance to make 2 dives at either WPB or Jupiter.
Which would you generally prefer considering my experience? If both are equally good shouldn't I pick WPB as it is close to where I'm staying?
My wife wants to do a DSD, does she have an option either in WPB or Jupiter? Or are the dive sites only for experienced divers (We want to dive together if it is possible)

BTW I also want to purchase my own wet suite & goggles . Where can I get a good deal - Gainesville, WPB or CA

Thanks for all the help!

Just an FYI.. Blue Heron Bridge trolls are having a dive n meet n greet on Saturday Nov. 23., in case you are interested. Very shallow diving and good for non divers too..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom