Traveling with 8" dome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

js1221

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since AOI has released a PEN to OMD adapter for their mirrorless housing I was looking at going to a larger dome port. I currently have the Olympus E-PL10, in the AOI UH-EPL10 housing. I want to get with an Olympus 7-14 f/2.8 PRO, or a 12-40 f/2.8 PRO lens to use with the system. AOI makes an 8" Acrylic Dome Port that will work with both lens, on the PEN housing, using the adapter. My concern is traveling with an 8" dome. How difficult is it to travel with a dome port of that size. I typically put my current set up in a back pack to avoid the Pelican case. Can the port be safely packed in my regular checked bag? Is it worth getting an 8" dome with the E-PL10 or should I stick with my 4" dome? Thoughts would be appreciated.

You raise two interesting and different questions.

First as to whether you should get an 8inch dome. When I had an Olympus M4/3 camera, I had the 8mm Fisheye lens and used a 4inch Zen dome. I found that to be an ideal combination. The only drawback that I had was that with a 4inch dome, it was "a challenge" to get a good "Over/Under" shot.

I have switched cameras, and I now shoot with a Sony A6000 in a Nauticam housing when underwater. Nauticam makes an 8inch dome port that is designed for both the Sony 10-18mm f/4 lens and the Sony/Zeiss 16-70mm f/4 lenses. I fit all of my camera gear into a small backpack including my 8inch dome port. I store/transport it in a padded insulated lunch box like you would find at Target or Walmart much like the one pictured below.

1668963349219.png

If I were you, unless you are not getting satisfactory images with your current set-up, and you know beyond as they say "a reasonable doubt" that the cause of your problem is the 4inch dome, my advice would be to stay with what works. I suffer horribly from "GAS" - Gear Acquisition Syndrome, but sometimes that has to be tempered with a degree of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Back
Top Bottom