Traveling with an infant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Should I have assumed that your parents or in-laws could not be trusted, didn't live close by, or that you do not know them personally?

You appear to be pretending to have become confused by conflating two completely separate posts:

In one, I responded to a question about finding childcare in Cozumel by saying I wouldn't leave my kid with anyone whom I didn't know personally.

In the other, I responded to your post asking why people don't just leave babies with relatives by giving a reason why not everyone can do that.

Again, not really all that complex despite your apparently going out of your way to make it seem so.

Incidentally, there is no logical or rational conflict between those two unrelated quotations pulled from separate posts even if you yank them out of context and put them together. No, I really wouldn't leave my child with someone whom I didn't personally know. No, none of our relatives lived close enough to provide childcare. They're both true statements.

There, that wasn't so hard, was it?

As I plainly stated I was talking about infants that won't remember anything from the trip.

I'm talking about infants that age, too. Just because we disagree about whether it's worthwhile traveling with them doesn't mean we're not talking about the same thing.

It in no way means that they don't like or love their kids.

Of course not, nor did I imply that you don't. I assumed, based on the comments I quoted, that you don't like spending time with them.

Let's be clear, then. Do (or did) you like spending time with your infant children enough to take them on a dive trip to Cozumel? If not, why get so out of joint at my assumption that this true statement is true? If so, why say that you can't understand why people would do that very thing?

For further clarity, would you leave your infant child with a local person you don't personally know in a foreign country while you go off diving? Would you leave your infant child back home with anyone other than a relative or close, trusted friend while you went off to a foreign country for a week?

I think we are getting a little bit off track here. I appreciate the advice, but I think this thread is getting hijacked away from the original intent.

Both myself and spouse are divers and are the proud parent of a 20 month old daughter. She has been traveling with us everywhere since she was about 3 months old. She has never been away from either of us for more then a night.

We continue to travel everywhere and do so very successfully. Although I do have to say that i believe it has effected her personality a bit. ::Looks over at a fridge covered in pictures of her with scuba masks, dive slates, spare air's, floating on BCD's::.

The trip to traveling successfully with a child that age is plan ahead and when you think you have thought of everything think again. Remember that many of the things you can just run out and get from the store when your at home may not be available when your in the islands.

Best bet is assume you will have absolutely nothing available for your son or daughter that you don't bring with you. By 8 months your child is going to have a few favorite things. Our daughter has a manatee that she absolutely must have all the time. BRING IT! BRING TWO! BRING THREE! We ended up purchasing like 20 of them and keep all but one hidden that way when one falls off the dive boat (yes she even comes on the boat at one of the LDS's with us) its not the end of the world.

The other thing that is a must have is a pack and play. Its basically a folding crib that packs down pretty small for traveling.

To make the trip the best it can be your going to end up bringing just as much stuff for your infant as the two of you put together but in the end its worth it.

To the person saying kids that age don't remember trips like these, you know it may be true that they will not remember the exact events or that its was to said location but I can assure you that it has an overall impact on there personality and life. The picture below is my proof that spending time with your kids no matter where it may be or what you may be doing effects the things they enjoy and how they see the world!

19278_246874576097_512641097_4285183_1237320_n.jpg
19278_264351071097_512641097_4403018_5871536_n.jpg

Our pride and joy

One last note on here a little bit of self promotion if you will. Find a dive center to work with that welcomes children on there destination trips. TCH for example when we have a trip that myself and spouse are running we always bring along a dive master who knows part of there responsibility during the trip will be child care in exchange they get to come along for free and get to dive here and there. Best of all you know they are trained in first aid. I know we are not the only operation out there who does things like this. Talk to other parents that you dive with and find out how they handle it.

What better way to build a relationship with your children then share your passions with them. The strongest bonds and memories are formed before a child turns three.

DIVING IS A FAMILY ACTIVITY EVEN WHEN NOT ALL THE FAMILY IS DIVERS!

My wife and I were lucky enough to go to Coz last year twice with our now 2 1/2 yr old dauther. In January with my parents and mother-in-law and then a long weekend with my mother-in-law in October. It was super sweet having them along to watch her in the am so we could dive then hang out all afternoon. There are plenty of condos and houses that have enough room for the whole crew.

Similar to the above post, we have a great picture of her on a pier in her PJ's and my wife and I in our wetsuits getting ready to go for a dive. We all have huge grins on our faces! Also as a result of her trips to Coz, she now knows the sign for shark, which is pretty cool. And you can't beat having a non-drinking mother-in-law to be DD and the 'responsible one' after a few Sol's.

As mentioned above, just make sure to have plenty of the kid's favorites. However, last trip back in Oct she had a meltdown midflight. We had a diaper bag full of all her fav's, animal crackers, fish crackers, etc. She wasn't having any of it. Luckily a nice couple across the aisle offered some graham crackers - she's was happy and I'm sure the rest of the plane was happy. Point is, even with all the fav's they will probably throw a fit at some point.

First trip we did not take her carseat for the plane ride. We were cheap and she was small so being on our laps wasn't too bad. In Oct when she was just over two and we had to buy her a seat on the plane, we did lug it with us. It was a pain but having her own space and some familiarity I think helped, despite a couple meltdowns.

Just don't be afraid to be 'those people.' As long as you're as considerate as you can be, most people understand that small kids have meltdowns every now and then.

Can't help you on babysitters in Coz, but judging from the generally sweet nature of almost all of the locals we've come across on our five trips, at some point I can see us leaving our daughter with a babysitter down there at some point (my wife isn't there yet...) Also, at the house we rented in Jan and condo in Oct we were able to rent a pack-n-play for her to sleep in. We just took her sheets and blankets and our monitors so we could hear her during naptime and at night. Worked out well for us.

Hope this helps a little. Have fun!

Ok folks, I need some honest advice. We are expecting our first child in May. We are becoming religious Cozumel addicts (5 trips in four years). We are coming about every 10 months, although we would like to come down every six months. We stay at Cozumel Palace, although we are looking at starting to stay at El Cantil. We are starting our registry and we need some advice on what we should have to travel with an infant. For example, we registered for a Combi stroller that can break down really easily to travel with, but I am looking for some advice on stuff that we should have to travel with.

Please note, we are looking at a first trip with the infant in about December, 2010 or January, 2011. The kiddo will be 7-8 months at that time.

My wife does not dive, yet. We would also like some opinions on where to find a good care provider in Cozumel. We are new parents, so please give us lots of advice.

Thanks for all the help!

Congratulations !!!!

As a seasoned parent my first advice is to take a deep breath and enjoy the ride !!!! Secondly, it is wonderful that you are already planning to spend as much time as you can with your child. Watching them grow and experience new and exciting things is so fulfilling. My husband and I are so thankful that we traveled as a family while raising our two sons, now ages 26 and 29-married-careers-on their own which I will say is :) & :-(

As far as your Cozumel trip. Plan ahead and prepare. Your 7 or 8 month old will do fine and so will You !!!

1-Perhaps around 5 or 6 months old you may want to introduce him or her to sleeping in a travel crib. They make these cribs so compact now that you can use it at home and just take it with you. This way the baby will be used to sleeping in his or her own bed from home. I also checked out the Combi stoller on the website and it looks fantastic. It looks like a very useful item to have. You can use the seat for car/plane/restaurants and then just pop it into the stroller to be on your way.

2-Also another point for you to consider is feeding. If baby is nursing for instance he or she should be introduced to bottle if there is a chance baby is with a sitter while mommy is briefly out of immediate contact. Again something that could be introduced at home in order for baby to become accustomed to the routine.

3-And while I am on the subject of feeding, don't forget to have the baby nursing or using the bottle during the flight takeoff and landings. It helps to equalize their tiny eustachian tubes. Also, the mommy and nurse in me suggests you take a small first aid kit with you. ie: baby thermomter, baby otc meds such as baby tylenol/ibuprofen. Yes, the stores have these things there, but if something pops up in the middle of the night, for instance a low grade fever due to teething do you really want to run out at that time to take care of shopping ? BTW, the stores Mega/Chedruai are stocked with diapers and some baby foods. Although, if baby is eating strained foods at that time, some do-some don't- you make want to pack them as he or she will be used to them and introducing something different at 7 or 8 months may be a challenge.

4-Regarding childcare.. Consider taking a sitter/nanny with you. El Cantil would be perfect. In fact, Michael and I stayed in a 3 bedroom condo with 2 other couples one of which had a 1 year old. The accomodations were great and worked out very well for the baby. Full gourmet kitchens, private bathrooms for each bedroom, roomy common living areas and a BEE-U-TI-FUL view. Between the three sets of adults, the baby was covered at all times. Also, a bonus with El Cantil is Mommy and Daddy could have a bit of privacy in their master suite, go out in the morning for a dive or perhaps dinner out for two at night and still have baby close to them. With having your own sitter/nanny with you the schedule could be worked out very easily, giving mom and dad a little bit of vacation freedom but still having baby with you. Plus you will have the benefit of knowing personally who is taking care of your child.

These are just a few thoughts for you to mull around. Just remember, you have never been a parent before and baby has never been a baby before...you all will have to figure things out as you go along. It will work out just fine. And, if something doesn't work...well then you will just have to try something different the next time. :)

Best Wishes and if you ever need to bounce anymore thoughts around feel free to ask.
Sue

OSU,
Sorry for participating in the hi-jack. It is unfortunate that some members feel they have to mount a personal attack when they disagree with a post that was not even directed toward them in the first place. I'll not lower myself to Mstevens level again.

Good luck on your trip to Coz. You all will love it!

We are off to Coz in Feb with our 16 month old son. After looking at all the options - the cheapest (and best) option was just to buy the nanny a plane ticket . Since we are staying in a condo and cooking ourselves - the incremental cost is manageable, and we will be able to dive two tanks a day without worry, and then enjoy the little one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom