traveling with baby

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

becca31

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a a 4 1/2 month old and am considering making a trip to Cozumel in a few months. I've checked with Blue Angel and they do have a crib. Has anybody done this? Concerns about the water? I know they wash their fruits and such with filtered water but it still makes me a little nervous. I'm a single mom (by choice) so I'll be traveling solo and would need to hire a local babysitter while I dive. Again... a little concerning but I would do some heavy duty due diligence with that. What about a car seat? I generally don't leave Blue Angel except to walk to restaurants downtown, but I could skip that. The only time I'd need a car seat is from/to the airport, but has anybody risked that drive and gone without? (I would wear him in a carrier). Logistically this would be a pain in the butt (at least until I'm at the hotel) but I'm missing some diving and would love to make it work if possible. Any and all tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

I've done it.. but with my parents so obviously different (and different hotel). I travelled down with them but travelled on my own going home.

Carseat I brought but I wouldn't if I went again. At that time it wasnt required by law and it was just airport and back. That being said no one would say that it's best safety interest to skip the seat. Use your own judgement. Carrier was a godsend to be able to use washroom myself while in transit.

No idea on babysitter.. it would scare me that young.

Baby hasn't started solid (assuming) so no worries on food. Formula or breastfeeding? I found the local culture so much more accepting about breastfeeding... it was a non issue whatsoever. I would pump on boat and no one even cared.

I brought a small throw away kettle to make boiling water to clean bottles. Just buy water at the store if you are doing formula if they don't provide.

Lastly, what are your local laws on taking a baby out of country without both parents? I'm not sure on your situation, but I needed a signed letter from dad, as well as birth certificate showing dads name, and baby passport. Funny enough Mexico let us in no problem, only had to show letter coming back into Canada (go figure).

It's more planning and more work with a little one, but it's a great sense of accomplishment as a mom to be able to balance holidays and parental duties.

Last I checked, sunscreen wasnt technically recommended under 6 months. I decided I would rather sunscreen then burning baby skin ( its unrealistic to keep baby out of all sun in mexico)

Have fun hope it works!

There's at least two dive shops owned by ladies, Blue XT Sea and Blue Project. Denise, the lady at Aldora's desk has a youngster. If you're there after June 15th, my wife will be there full time by then and if the baby is a little girl (she's had all boys), she'll probably ask you to stay at the condo just to spend more time with her. The island is so family oriented once you see past the tourism stuff it's unreal.

Seriously, 4 1/2 is pretty young but when you see behind the curtain, you'll be amazed at how folks really are.

I know it would cost much more than getting a sitter but when my kids were young we brought an additional family member (non diver)to watch the kids while we went diving and it gave them a treat away from home and we did a few things with them too for coming. Just an extra thought ...

There's at least two dive shops owned by ladies, Blue XT Sea and Blue Project. Denise, the lady at Aldora's desk has a youngster. If you're there after June 15th, my wife will be there full time by then and if the baby is a little girl (she's had all boys), she'll probably ask you to stay at the condo just to spend more time with her. The island is so family oriented once you see past the tourism stuff it's unreal.

Seriously, 4 1/2 is pretty young but when you see behind the curtain, you'll be amazed at how folks really are.

I'm not sure what you are suggesting - haha. And neither Blanca nor myself have kids of our own.

Unfortunately, babysitting is actually not that easy to find on the island as you may think. I'm not saying it doesn't exist or that it's impossible, but it's a challenge for sure. I would check with the hotel to see if they have anyone they recommend or have used in the past. You could also post on Cozumel4You to see if anyone responds, and then get references. I've been asked to find babysitters for divers kids in the past, and it was very difficult to find someone willing and available during the hours requested. Divers who dive with us typically bring a non-diving family member, take turns diving, or bring their nanny with them.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip!

I'm not sure what you are suggesting - haha. And neither Blanca nor myself have kids of our own.

Unfortunately, babysitting is actually not that easy to find on the island as you may think. I'm not saying it doesn't exist or that it's impossible, but it's a challenge for sure. I would check with the hotel to see if they have anyone they recommend or have used in the past. You could also post on Cozumel4You to see if anyone responds, and then get references. I've been asked to find babysitters for divers kids in the past, and it was very difficult to find someone willing and available during the hours requested. Divers who dive with us typically bring a non-diving family member, take turns diving, or bring their nanny with them.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip!

But Blanca is so motherly! I wasn't implying that at all, I wrote that after an all day work day and all night snow work - was tired. I just assumed it'd be way easier for daycare and the typical male butt that I am figured you ladies would have the inside track on that. Our house seems at times to be a daycare center - I call to see if it's safe to come home...

Going back under my rock now....

I know it would cost much more than getting a sitter but when my kids were young we brought an additional family member (non diver)to watch the kids while we went diving and it gave them a treat away from home and we did a few things with them too for coming. Just an extra thought ...

We did the same thing on a long trip in the Bahamas - Grandma was a lifesaver!

If you stay at one of the southern AI resorts, the boat ride to the reef is short and they usually return to the dock between dives. That would reduce the time away

I wouldn't take a 4 1/2 month old to Coz and leave the infant with any babysitter on the island. Heck, I wouldn't take an infant out of the country anywhere where medical care is no where near the standards of care in the USA should something happen and should the child be exposed to foreign bugs. What if something were to happen to you while diving? You are now a mother first and a diver second. Leave your infant with grandma or grandpa in the states and enjoy your trip. If that's not an option, I say postpone the trip a few years when it isn't so risky and so complicated. As far as child seats in Coz goes, who ever heard of them? I've watched babies bouncing on each of their mothers legs riding behind dad. A family of 4 on one scooter is something to see (and very dangerous but they have no other options).

I can not speak to your destination but my wife and I have taken our daughter out of the country twice (she is 2), we are starting think it could we a fun “check list” challenge to take her to a differant country every year I’d her life. My wife took her solo to Panama when she was 11 months and we just came back from Roatan (baby was 23 months).

4 1/2 is a great age to travel with them because they are still basically a lump of living meat. My wife told me it was easy to travel solo with her at 11 months then it was to travel with her at 23 months with me (not sure if I should take offense).

Tip 1: as much as you can get your babysitting locked down before you leave. We don’t speak Spanish but we have close friends that do, we had them make the calls for us and ask all the questions and get a good feel for the nanny we were hiring. We got lucky on Roatan we hire a pair of girls that worked at the resort so they switched off days so they didn’t miss shifts at the restort (worked out great as we traveled off season so when we were all out on the boats they didn’t have a lot to do anyway so most days both of them watched the baby). By getting this done before you leave you know what you are getting into both on cost and knowing the person that you are in-trusting your baby to.

Tip 2: for use our daughter has never slept in our bed so we traveled with the pack and play. While it takes up a checked bag is is under 50lbs. We packed as much small stuff in it to maximize our checked weight.

Tip 3: I’m assuming you are already doing this but just so it’s said...don’t assume that you can get anything you need for the baby there...take it all. Our daughter had a weird allergic reaction on the plane home from Roatan and while it turned out to be nothing we were glad that we had medicine in the carry on.

Tip 4: get to the airport early. if the airport you are traveling from has something like a United One Pass club and you don’t already have that covered see if you can find club passes on Craig’s list for sale. It is so nice to hang in the family room in the club before the flight instead of the gate. Plus you can walk up to the gate during any point during boarding and no one with argue with you cutting in line.

While on the whole babies will complicate anything I can’t tell you how much more kindness you get from strangers when traveling with a baby.

*Grammar and spelling brought to you by the IPhone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom