Traveling with knives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to Bonaire & Curacao in August, Can Im take my dive knives with me in my checked luggage ? I don't know if the rules have changed or not. Please advise. Good Viz, George:confused:

I don't know if the rules have changed or not. I would advise you to call ahead to the airport and check. I know some airlines have different rules, so what one says may not apply to another.

One of my knives was attached to a hose on my octopus and I carried that on. As I was standing in line I remember it just as they were unzipping my bag. But the inspector never caught it as a knife. Guess I got lucky.

Make ya feel safe???:)

I think there is absolutely no problem traveling with the knife, normally a guy from the crew will take it and give it back to you when you arrive

I just got back to Europe from a 3 week trip to the states. I went to California and Florida and had knives with me with no problems at all.

In fact from Finland to Florida I forgot that my Tekna knife on my light head was still in place, and it was carry on. They were even checking out my light a lot since the canister looks a bit suspicious. I could not believe they did not notice that, but that is a seperate issue and for the rest of the flights I took it out and put it in my gear bag.

I've done some travel with my gear since 9/11, and I've asked people at the desks of both US Airways and United - the consensus was that it is best to put the knife / knives into your checked baggage. If you try to carry it on, it will be nothing but trouble for you - the TSA does not take this stuff lightly, and the security requirements for international flights are even more rigorous than those for domestic only flights.

~W

Back
Top Bottom