Traveling with your gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We pack regs, computers and my husband's mask with a script in the carry on. Everything else is checked. And like Peter 69_56 we had not one but two destroyed bags from United. Got to Bonaire with dive gear two weeks ago Saturday and finally got clothes Wednesday night. But thats okay. ..we just kept on diving. ...Still haven't heard from United. .

Please tell me what kind of $250 bag was torn apart by United and how did thar cause loss of tsa lock?

Most of the damage ever done to my luggage was due to flying puddle jumpers which are very hard on luggage. United has managed to scratch up my luggage and tear off logos but that's a bout the extent of it.

I'm asking this to assist me when the time comes for new pieces of luggage.

They don't even have to damage the bag to lose gear. Twice now Delta /TSA has obviously opened my checked bags and did not completely reclose them. Arrived in baggage claim partially unzipped with loose gear hanging out. Beware!

Please tell me what kind of $250 bag was torn apart by United and how did thar cause loss of tsa lock?

Most of the damage ever done to my luggage was due to flying puddle jumpers which are very hard on luggage. United has managed to scratch up my luggage and tear off logos but that's a bout the extent of it.

It was a Cressi dive bag and they managed to rip the zip completely from the bag along with the lock, all gone. Although it didn't rip the actual zip mechanism open, it ripped out the end of the bag.

Along with a Lifeline radio that was loose in the bag. All together some $700 AUD

Leaving Bonaire last Saturday we watched a luggage cart pull out to a plane and it was at least 10 bags high, and 15 long and 3 wide. No wonder bags get damaged

I take all my gear if I am doing a lot of diving. I hate rental gear: Leaking hoses, fin pockets that cut into your feet, leaking BCs that fill with so much water during a dive trim and buoyancy problems are constant. My own gear is well maintained. Plus, every dive has the same gear configuration; and I know the maintenance record and the guy who serviced the reg.

Sometimes I have to pay for extra luggage; but, such is life.

However, the pleasure diving is worth the effort and cost.

Nylon-sided roller luggage is garbage; the conveyor belts destroy them. Once we switched to the hard-shell type roller luggage, the damage has been greatly reduced.
We specifically use Samsonite hard-sided luggage, we got at Costco, for around $85 each. The only gear that rides in it though is my wetsuit and fins.

+1 for hard cases, plus it looks anonymous unless you put dive stickers on it. I wish I could find decent lockable cases here at decent prices that close with clamps instead of zippers which are so easy to break in to.

The cheapest cases I can get here now are over $300

I have used my 60 Litre canoe barrel for travelling with my gear a few times:

North 49 Canoe Barrel Harness - 30L & 60L

Super strong and lockable too. But, it draws curious looks.

I have a lightweight baggage wheel that can be attached too - something like this: Amazon.com: Samsonite Luggage Compact Folding Cart, Black, One Size: Clothing

Not so good for wet gear, but it keeps things safe when being tossed around on a plane.

But, for now, I think everyone has seen a tonne of these: Aqualung Classic Bag. Bags and dry boxes Gear bags, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, dive

Cheap and strong...I doubt I will need to replace it any time soon.

MT

2 ways to go
a) buy cheap bags and consider them disposable and replace as necessary
b) buy stuff that is FULLY guaranteed by manufacturer or retailer

we used to buy cheap, but then started travelling so much that we were constantly buying new luggage, several bags every year. the bags all had "manufacturing defect" warranties that never covered luggage ape damage.

we now use option b.

our real luggage is made by briggs and reily who provide a full repair guarantee. regardless of how the damage occurred. we have had several handles fixed, a couple of wheels and a tear in the fabric. at all no cost to us. we drop the bag back to the local store and it comes back repaired in a few weeks.

we also use MEC (Moutain Equipment Co-op) for our gear bags and packs. as a retailer they stand behind all of their products. they have refunded a duffle bag that was torn open.

if you do not travel much, pick option a). travel a lot, option b)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom