Travelling Soon....Need HELP!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aaron id love to here about your trip. Costa Rica is another place i really wanna go. I feel like im going around in circles, trying to book a trip. Last night, we were even pricing Truk Lagoon. but i couldnt figure out what airlines serviced Truk. if i'm going that far, i want to jump around and take in as much as i can. but that required more time than i have right now. So, I'm back to Belize.

So how should i go about belize. i believe i have the air travel part figured out, Fly to Cancun and then take topic air to belize. but i have no idea where are all the best places to stay. the hamanasi resort looks amazing. but i wonder how much extra it will cost for food and booze, or if its best for me to look into an all inclusive resort. And as for going inland to explore. whats the best way to do that, rent a car? bus? fly? i obviously have alot more research to do. im just wondering if anyone has some recommendations from good personal experiences. i really want to get some great diving in, dive the blue hole, dive with whale sharks, without doing a live aboard....is that even possible???

Did you price out the Tropic flight from Cancun?

Actually the liveaboards don't go anywhere near the Whale shark diving. So if you want to dive with the whale sharks you have to either do it from Placencia, one of the farther north resorts near Dangriga - like Hamanasi. Or several of the atoll resorts also run trips down there but since they only shuttle guests back/forth to shore once or twice a week, you'll miss out on any of the inland adventures.

A basic suggestion is start with - and review the Splash Divers trip page. They do a lot of what you sound like you want - including most of the inland trips. Hamanasi does also. Even Hamanasi suggests flying there instead of renting a car in Belize City to drive down. They must know something...if you're plan is to move around in-country maybe the bus is a better option.

If you plan on exploring Belize then I would seriously consider a car. The drive from Belize City to San Ignacio and then to Placencia is worth doing IMHO. Has nothing to do with diving, but a couple of days in Belize City (lots feel it is too dangerous, but I have had no issues and it is interesting - would not go out late at night but otherwise no problems) stop at the Zoo, spend a few days in the mountians (have a look at Martz Farm - a unique experience) then a few days in Placencia or nearby and do a few dives and hang out at the beach. First trip we went to Ambergrise and stayed almost a week then flew from there to San Ignacio for three days and then rented a car to drive to Placencia for a few days and then to the airport to drop the car. Subsequent trips have been liveaboards so rent a car in Belize City after the liveaboard and poke around afterwards. Not sure why you would fly - the roads are good and the distances short. Getting to and from Ambergrise or Caye Caulker is a different matter, have done the boat, and have done it by plane. Once on the boat was fun and worth doing, but wouldn't do it again unless $ is a serious concern.

---------- Post added March 13th, 2014 at 08:19 PM ----------

PS - the direct route from Belize City to Placencia is one I wouldn't drive again. Made that mistake the last time I was there and what looked to be a shortcut (the most direct route along the coast) turned out to be MUCH slower and not scenic at all.

PS - the direct route from Belize City to Placencia is one I wouldn't drive again. Made that mistake the last time I was there and what looked to be a shortcut (the most direct route along the coast) turned out to be MUCH slower and not scenic at all.
When I drive the road we took 3 days rations, in case we got trapped between rivers. Little was paved, it was in the 1970s.

The boat from Belize City to the Caye used to be fun ( on a nice day) back when the boats were only partially covered. Nowadays, I don't enjoy it anymore because all enclosed, unless you can get upstairs and really I only enjoy that on the Caye Caulker crossing back to San Pedro at the end of a great afternoon at the Split.

The price difference between boat and flight is significant. The flight almost always blows my mind though. Fricken beautiful and less than 1/2 hour!

so has anyone driving from mexico? i can't stop thinking that that would be so awesome. dive cozumel, cenotes, and everything else on the way down. i rented a car and drove from cancun to tulum for a week the last time i was down. had zero problems except for the gas attendents trying to scam some cash...lol

You can fly into Mexico direct from Canada and then fly to Belize. I would recommend going down to Placentia rather than Ambergris cay. Splash dive center has a great dive package "Grand Slam" that covers all the atolls. It is also on a peninsular, so you can rent a car there and drive around, rather than be stuck on an island.

---------- Post added March 27th, 2014 at 02:17 PM ----------

When exactly are you going? Sailing week in Antigua is a blast.

---------- Post added March 27th, 2014 at 02:26 PM ----------

By the way. You are correct, you will NOT be allowed to stop in the US. Even if you do not leave the airport, you will not be allowed to board a flight to the US. And there are no direct flight between Canada and Belize.

You have lots of good Caribbean suggestions. (My vote would be Belize, week on a liveaboard and a week inland.)

You said you don't have enough time to take a trip to the "far east", but it sounds like you have 2 weeks, and I think that is enough. More places to consider then, including places where you can do 2 weeks for the price of one in the Caribbean, which at least helps with the airfare. And get better diving. Philippines is the first that comes to mind. Or maybe Thailand. (Don't know about the whole conviction thing there or anyplace else though.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom