travelling with backup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for the responses. I've just gotten back from Maui, and they gave my bags a pretty good going over (why a regulator "looks sharp" under x-ray I'll never know). My tank was however in a cardboard box with a shipping company, as was my video battery, both of which I shipped ahead to the place at which I was staying. Empty, a tank is not considered hazardous by FedEx (by phone, Luxfer said it is a "class 70 cylinder" whatever that means) which FedEx said is okay to ship without any hazardous material concerns. Based on the prior posts and reviews of the TSA site, it really sounds like taking a tank to the airport is an invitation to lose your bottle. That aside, the diving was good. Saw my first batfish (yes, in Hawaii). Happy diving in 2004.

Shipping ahead to and back from Hawaii is doable, but to any international dive spot - even Cozumel, it's almost as cheap to buy a new one there, then discard it at the end of the week. That doesn't appeal to me either...

Guess I'll remove the valve when I go in 3 weeks and see what happens. I could send an email complaint to the guy in charge of TSA, as I think he's out on bail now! [/U]

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...3-2004Jan1.html

don

I was researching this issue on ScubaBoard and on the TSA site. I found this:

"Dive tanks or any compressed gas cylinders are prohibited as checked baggage. *A compressed gas cylinder is allowed in carry-on baggage only if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). *The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside. *TSA Security Screeners will NOT remove the seal/regulator valve from the cylinder at the checkpoint. *If the cylinder is sealed (i.e. the regulator valve is still attached), the cylinder is prohibited and not permitted through the security checkpoint, regardless of the reading on the pressure gauge indicator. TSA Security Screeners must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside."

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=090005198005fee0

I just returned from a trip to Kona on aloha from Orange County (SNA) and successfully carried on a steel pony.
As Diver-Greg has mentioned, if you read the text of the link referenced by DandyDon completely you will notice that you can carry on an empty bottle.
( http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1190.xml )

It reads as follows:

Dive tanks or any compressed gas cylinders are prohibited as checked baggage.
A compressed gas cylinder is allowed in carry-on baggage only if the regulator
valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no
longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end).

I found this interesting because in Jan you were required to check the cylinder...
I had a printout of the reg taped to my bottle and requested a hand check of all my bags so there was no issue of "disappearing" gear. also managed to get TSA to lock the bags after inspection.

I must admit that the first screener denied me my bottle but after 2 supervisors arrived and I showed them their own regs I was allowed to board. Coming back from Kona was slightly easier but I'd hope it would be.

BTW, one of the other divers on our trip had checked his AL bottle in St. Louis and it made it OK too.

"Travelers & Consumers Printable Version
Transporting Special Items

Transporting Scuba Equipment

Some scuba gear can be transported on-board the aircraft. Please refer to the guidelines below:

A compressed gas cylinder is allowed in carry-on baggage only if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside."

according to the tsa statement transporting a pony bottle as cabin luggage should be possible. experience? no, i do not use pony bottles and haven't travelled to the states lately. might change next year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom