Travleing Alone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No problems traveling abroad alone here. I've done four or five liveaboards that way, with no problems.....except for occasionally being paired with clueless/dangerous "buddies" on board.

Originally posted by Benefice

Interesting,
I had assumed the costs would be prohibative for a single diver because of the limited space on boats.

You can find good, comfortable liveaboards that will give you something like 25 dives over 6 days, a bed, 3 square meals, good companionship, a dive buddy, etc. fior somewhere between 1000 and 1700 bucks.

Just on a dollars per dive basis, it's cheap.

My latest trip was on MV Sea Fever (Miami to Bimini). Great trip!

Before that, MV Carribean Explorer (St. Marteen to Saba, St. Kitts and back). Great Trip.

Before that, Peter Hughes' MV Wind Dancer (Grand Turk). Ditto. Much more lux but also more bucks.

Go for it!

I go alone all the time. I agree with metridium about getting paired up with clueless divers though... I always ask the DM to give me someone about the same experience if he can. If not I turn into a trainer...:rolleyes:

I've dealt with the singleton dive travel by going on LDS sponsored trips, booking liveaboards, and going to a dedicated dive resort (Kellys by the Bay in Key Largo).

Earlier this summer I joined a Florida dive club, even though I live in NYC. I was looking to book a spot on the Ultimate Getaway, a liveaboard that dives the Dry Tortugas off the Florida Keys. I checked out the boats schedule for the weekend I wanted and found that it was chartered by a dive club located on the West Coast of Florida. I called the dive club, signed up for the Dry Tortugas trip, and paid my membership dues. So far I have been on two trips with them and I'm planning to go to Galapagos with them next year.

I've noticed a couple of dive clubs in Fla that book frequent weekend trips. I think they are a great way to meet like minded people who want to dive. Some clubs let non-members go on their trips, if you feel silly joining a club knowing you will never attend a meeting.

I've also joined a local dive club but it's been more of a social thing than a dive thing. They don't schedule a lot of club dives up here, it seems.

If you're interested, drop me a line and I'll send you some dive club URLS.

There are plenty of resorts that not only will pair you up with someone but they will also give you the opportunity to dive with a private divemaster if you so wish. This could be a plus and, permit me to interject some humor here.

While in the Bahamas I met the neatest couple. He was just out of the US Navy she was a divemaster and a British citizen. After spending a few days diving together they hit it off. He was on vacation solo. Until he married his divemaster. As far as I know they are still together to this day working at the same dive resort. So you see anything is possible when you travel by yourself. Have fun and enjoy.

The "Diver Training" magazine just had an article in it that dealt with divers traveling alone. You might want to check it out. Gives the pros and cons, interesting read.

Originally posted by Benefice
Hello all,
I'm a new diver who's done about a dozen local, cold water, dives, and now I'm looking to branch out to some warm water. Unfortunately I don't have a dive buddy to travel with. What's the best way to handle this?

Do "dive resorts" usually have a way for you to meet up with a buddy?

Do people usually just stay at a normal hotel and find a dive shop that can pair you up?

How do tourist destinations generally accommodate for this sort of thing (obviously I can't go far of the beaten path and still expect to find a buddy of comparable skill level).

Thanks for any input or experiences,
Benefice

Travelling to dive destinations, land-based or live-aboard, alone isn't a problem. If a compatible dive buddy isn't available, tag along with a divemaster or wander off on your own. In my 10+ years of experience of wandering alone diving around the world, I've always found someone or ones with whom I can enjoy a meal and conversation. Be prepared, however, to swallow a single supplement charge from time-to-time.

Back
Top Bottom