Tray / Lighting for TG-5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgaryclark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for some recommendations on tray / lighting for Olympus TG-5...
About me: diving for over 30 years, only been taking underwater videos over the last 2-3 years though, warm water recreational diving only, I've been using a GoPro with filters to take video and still shots. I'd like to improve the quality of my photos and video. I have the PT-058 underwater housing for the camera.

Ideally, I'd like a setup that would be conducive to both still photos and video. I'm not looking to become a professional photographer and would doubt that I'd every really want to upgrade a basic setup...I'm just looking for some increased quality which really amounts to capturing more color in my shots. Cost is a concern so I'm looking for something under $400 if that's doable. If its not, I'm gonna have to continue with the GoPro and filters.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

For a next step, I would recommend getting a good video light and mount it to the housing using a cold shoe mount.

My first tg5 setup was a Sola 800 dive light with ball mount adapter attached via a ball joint to a cold shoe ball mount, and it worked very well for macro photography as well as video on good viz days in tropical water.

I'd probably go with a sola 1200 dive for more power than the 800, and I live the "dive" solas better than the "photo" ones because the dive sola has both narrow and wide beam settings. I use the narrow one to find critters, especially in cracks, then switch to the wide beam for better light for photos or video.

Cool thing about this setup is that then you can build on it by getting a one handle tray and a ball mount arm and placing the light on that for more control. But that's the dark path to eventually having a two handle two arm dual strobe setup with a let lens, carry strap, etc :wink:

Baby steps are great though, so that's why I recommend the "decent video light plus a way to mount it to your housing (cold shoe ball joint)" ad a good way to go!

I have an Xtar D36 light. It combines a 4200 lumen video light with a 1600 lumen spot light.

I see them on eBay for $329.

New XTAR D36 Cree XHP70.2, XHP35 HI 5800 Lumens LED Dive Light Diving Flashlight for sale online

I was using just the video light, set on Low (or maybe it was Medium), for this picture I took in the Bahamas last summer. Even on Low (or Medium, I can't remember off the top of my head) it puts out a lot of light. And, on Low (or M), it runs forever. I used it for at least 4 night dives before I needed to charge it.

P7285206-Edited.jpg

Last thing. Sorry. :D

I did not use a ball mount and clamp to attach the D36 to my housing. The D36 has a 1/4"-20 threaded hole on its underside.

I used one of these to mount the light right on top of my camera housing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018UJLIOE/

Almost any of our Lighting Packages will work for your camera.

The Sea & Sea YS-03 set would have a great small strobe, arm and tray along with a quality sync cord for only $319. Lots of folks get great shots with it.
S_S-YS03set.jpg

Kraken makes a variety of lights and ring flashes that many like as you can do both stills and video with them.
The RingLight 3000 with port adapter and sync cord is on sale for only $372.95 right now. It's really only for macro shots, 1800 lumens, "bursts" to 3000.

TG5-RingLite-3000-set5_r810-27.jpg

The Kraken Hydra Light 2500 Flexarm kit is a better all-around idea. Along with a their flex arm tray and sync cord it's on sale for $515.95, just over your budget.

KRK-2500-flexarm-set.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom