Tray vs mono pole pros and cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The pole is much better for filming subjects that can swim away. The camera on the end of a pole is much less threatening than a big bubble blowing diver. It is more than just selfies..

---------- Post added January 9th, 2015 at 06:29 PM ----------

The pole is much better for filming subjects that can swim away. The camera on the end of a pole is much less threatening than a big bubble blowing diver. It is more than just selfies..

Most people are going to have both a tray and a pole. I like the ability to set a tray system down and move away from it and allow it to film me and/or curious fish etc..

do you you think the pole is a good choice to start with, since it is a item that is less expensive?
Either are great to start with. A tray can be cheap too. Look at the DIY projects. It all depends what kind of setup you want. Like most people have stated, if you want to add lights: go with a tray. (I know you can add lights to a pole, but I don't compare them). Tray for stability, and pole for reach/selfie

There is this guy reviewing lots of different gear too. I really like his reviews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEMh00h1yvU

Ultimately, anything different then just handheld GoPro will make a nicer video experience.

Either are great to start with. A tray can be cheap too. Look at the DIY projects. It all depends what kind of setup you want. Like most people have stated, if you want to add lights: go with a tray. (I know you can add lights to a pole, but I don't compare them). Tray for stability, and pole for reach/selfie

There is this guy reviewing lots of different gear too. I really like his reviews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEMh00h1yvU

Ultimately, anything different then just handheld GoPro will make a nicer video experience.

I want to add one more aspect of the pole which I forgot to mention as a possible benefit. You can use it to keep a predatory fish or shark at bay. The pole when extended or even retracted can be used in the case of something with teeth is coming to close for comfort.

I know many of you have been convinced that the pole is very unsteady for filming and the light on it is not adequate for videoing. So in my next post I will make an effort to demonstrate how to best film using a pole and if you choose to put a light mount on it how to, illuminate when using a pole.
This area of filming with a mono pole needs more refinement, maybe a few tips with a video will help those who like filming with their mono pole.

My purpose is to show that the mono pole is not just good for selfies.

Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

I thought that you already talked about that in you "using a speargun or pole spear to kill house intruders" thread. HaHa

OTOH, you can use a tray to fend off the unwanted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGAeFyH3urM
Shark Attack Scuba Diver Caught on video - Video Dailymotion

That thread is on auto mode now, I have already concluded and left the building on that one. As far as the mono pole you never know when it can come in handy. I'm not saying you can use it as a weapon but more like a barrier between you and the larger fish.

Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

I want to add one more aspect of the pole which I forgot to mention as a possible benefit. You can use it to keep a predatory fish or shark at bay. The pole when extended or even retracted can be used in the case of something with teeth is coming to close for comfort.
k, in that case: Canon 5D with underwaterhousing and some big lights will also do the trick. Find things that are harder to swallow than a gopro :wink:

Great information in this thread as i am looking to get a GoPro camera and accessories in the near future.
I have been leaning towards the pole setup because I have seen others on dive trips with pole and I like how they are able to get close to the sea animals using the pole.

BTW, what are some good poles that are waterproof?

I went thru several before I found one that I liked.

Sandmarc metal 17-40" all aluminum pole. If you buy on Amazon, make sure that you buy from the manufacturer. This is important!

The other poles were a) too flimsy or b) trapped air or c) lousy locking mechanism.

This is a great pole.

I haven't had time to read the entire thread, so I'll apologize in advance if I am repeating someone. My first dive with a gopro I made my own tray like rig out of PVC, granting that I should of made it smaller, I found it very cumbersome. Worse the video was very unstable as every time I kicked the camera jerked. I since then switch to a cheap mono poll, and set the camera to record upside down. This allows me to hang the camera from the monopod which greatly increases stability. It makes selfies upside down but for most video it works better. Also, with the tray even when I thought I was close to objects i was not close enough. With the mono poll my first attempts have left me with video too close and unfocused, next dive I will use and LCD backpack to help frame the shot. Overall I am very happy with the results of the monopod thus far. I'm curios to see if adding a SP POV light and LCD backpack make the camera too heavy for monopod use or if the weight helps stabilize the gopro and improve video further.

I haven't had time to read the entire thread, so I'll apologize in advance if I am repeating someone. My first dive with a gopro I made my own tray like rig out of PVC, granting that I should of made it smaller, I found it very cumbersome. Worse the video was very unstable as every time I kicked the camera jerked. I since then switch to a cheap mono poll, and set the camera to record upside down. This allows me to hang the camera from the monopod which greatly increases stability. It makes selfies upside down but for most video it works better. Also, with the tray even when I thought I was close to objects i was not close enough. With the mono poll my first attempts have left me with video too close and unfocused, next dive I will use and LCD backpack to help frame the shot. Overall I am very happy with the results of the monopod thus far. I'm curios to see if adding a SP POV light and LCD backpack make the camera too heavy for monopod use or if the weight helps stabilize the gopro and improve video further.

If you use the light mount as a stabilizing handle you can improve the stability of your filming significantly.

[video=youtube;IFzR0eAx0Y0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFzR0eAx0Y0[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom