Trek wings and LP 95 doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SmokeAire

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a FredT steel back plate and the DiveRite Trek wing. I dive with single steel LP95s with H valves for my IntroCave diving (and all other type of dives). I have a straight manifold in case I decide to double my 95s.
The question is: Will the Trek wing handle double 95s?

Chuck

I've used Trek wings for my PST LP104s. They were marginal, but they worked. Not much extra flotation for stages and heavy lights.

If you are using Faber 95s it should be just about right. The 95s are quite a bit less negative than the 104s.

I think that they would be just fine for intro dives.

Peter

WarmWaterDiver:
Dive Rite Express has a chart on this page, below the descriptions of each wing, and above the 'Pricing" section.

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/aircells.shtml

I have already checked DR site and it said the Trek wings can handle a set of 83s. However I have talkd to my LDS and several other people and their opinion was the Trek wings could handle a set of 95s. Now I'm a bit confused.
Anyone with experience with the T-wings with any tanks bigger than 83 doubles with these wings? Plus I would be dividng singles on occasion with these wings.

Chuck

They might work...
My experience is that Trek wings are inadequate for PST 95's. My bet is that you won't be happy with them with Faber 95's.
Happiness with big steels lies in the Classic Wing. :)
Rick

Your post reminded me that I had a buddy who used my Trek wing with their HP100s without issue during their Intro period.

So the Trek may work for you as well. You will definitely need a bigger wing when you start to use deco bottles, stages, etc.

Peter

I saw an experienced deco diver using a trek wing with double 95s this weekend. He seemed to be doing fine. He had a staged 40 and was diving dry.

FWIW: I dive my double 95s with an Abyss 55lb wing.

SmokeAire:
I have already checked DR site and it said the Trek wings can handle a set of 83s. However I have talkd to my LDS and several other people and their opinion was the Trek wings could handle a set of 95s. Now I'm a bit confused.
Anyone with experience with the T-wings with any tanks bigger than 83 doubles with these wings? Plus I would be dividng singles on occasion with these wings.

Chuck

Should you choose to check the DR Express site via the link I provided in post #3 on this thread, you will find different info there than on DR's site, regarding use of the Trek wings with either single or double tanks. If you should choose to then call DR Express, they'll probably be open to helping sort this out. I've posted this a couple of times recently - there's a discrepancy between the 2 sites' info for the Trek wings. I've had better luck recently with straight, accurate, and helpful info from the folks at DR Express than I have with DR staff.

If not, no harm done - but there's a candle to light if you choose.

FWIW, these were previously named 'Jr. Wings' before they were given the much more macho 'Trek Wings' name and gusset control cord added. We have a set of Jr. Wings, hence my interest. They were rated at 45 lb lift when named Jr. Wings; DR & DR Express now rate the Trek Wing at 40 lb lift.

http://www.stingraydivers.com/catal...g-diverite.html

Page 5 of the DR Sidemounting Kit manual discusses adjusting the gusset control cord for use with heavy tanks as well, if considering twin steel tanks with the Trek Wing, whether sidemounting or not.

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/manuals/sidemount.pdf

That is an aweful lot of common sense and intelligence to introduce to a SB thread.

You gotta pace yourself man :)

Peter

I dove with a pair of painted 85 doubles (first time with doubles) using my trek wings this weekend at Peacock...sweet, loved them. However talking with my Cave Instructor Bill R. he is adamint against diving my galvanized steel 95s (doubled up) with the trek wings. My steel doubles would add an additional 20lbs plus all the additional weight all the cave diving stuff adds to it.

I can pick up a used DR classic wing for $75 at my local LDS plus whatever the bands will cost. That may be the way to go because I can keep my Trek wings plus my tanks bands and single tank adapters for when I have to dive with singles.
I'm just concerned about carring the twin 95s to the water because of the additional weight and my back. So I'm going to head down to my LDS with all my stuff, hook up his 95 doubles and take a hike around the block. If it isn't all that bad I'll just get the Classic wing, bands and double my 95 and be done with it. I alread have a straight manifold so the cost would be just for the wing and band. I would like an isolation manifold but it's just not in the budget right now.

Thanks everyone for your input. That is what makes this board so great.

addendum to the above: I called Dive Rite Express and they do recommend the Trek wings for dbl 95's. Even their web page has the same recommendations so I'll give my T-wings a try and go from there.

Chuck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom