triathlon wetsuit for scuba use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandiway

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I've done a bit of searching but there doesn't seem to be much written on the topic.

I dive in warm waters, needing 5mm at most. I was looking to purchase a Henderson Aqua Suede Hyperstretch 3mm, but these aren't yet available according to my LDS. I would also need a custom - I am a competitive cyclist with big legs and small but long torso.

Anyway, I was wondering about using an advanced two-piece triathlon wetsuit like the De Soto T1 instead. I will be needing one anyway if I decide to compete in triathlons. Advantages: it's way more flexible since it's designed to facilitate swimming and is more slick (yamamoto scs neoprene: the best for hydrodynamic performance). And since it's two piece, I can fit for legs and torso independently.

And triathlon wetsuits are designed to fit closely for lowfat athletes, so not much water will enter, meaning the suit should be fairly good at insulation despite the fact it is 5mm at max (maximum allowed under triathlon regulations) and down to 2mm at other places for flexibility.

However, it is low density neoprene and would be more buoyant at the surface and less buoyant at depth. Is this a problem?

I guess the other problem could be that a T1 could rip on coral or be affected by velcro on a cummerbund. Anyone have any experience?

Thanks very much,

Sandiway

Neoprene compresses with depth hence loosing its insulating properties. According to what I read somewhere, wetsuits that are not made for diving will do that to even higher degree.

sandiway:
And triathlon wetsuits are designed to fit closely for lowfat athletes, so not much water will enter, meaning the suit should be fairly good at insulation despite the fact it is 5mm at max (maximum allowed under triathlon regulations) and down to 2mm at other places for flexibility.

However, it is low density neoprene and would be more buoyant at the surface and less buoyant at depth. Is this a problem?

You need enough water to get into the suit to give you additional insulation; the neoprene alone will not do it for you, esp if it is too thin (2mm) Remember: a tri suit is only for swimming, not scuba; big difference. Especially since you've indicated that it is low-density neoprene... not much insulation in that when compressed at depth.

I don't know where you live, but there are some decent custom mfg's out there: you can even do a search here on SB to find a few.

Bonne chance,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom