Trident regulator seats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superstar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A few weeks ago I placed an order for some Trident regulator seats #A242 and #A148 from my LDS. I gave the numbers to the LDS owner and he looked up the price and said they would be ordered. The store manager who also is the regulator tech calls me yesterday and tells me he can"t sell me the parts due to liability. Then gives me the only the trained certified tech can do it or I will die lecture. After a long discussion on intermediate pressures, o-ring materials, duro hardness, silicone grease, and every other aspect of reg repair he concluded that I seemed to know what I was doing but still would not sell me the parts and sugested I buy reg kits on ebay. Go figure???

A few weeks ago I placed an order for some Trident regulator seats #A242 and #A148 from my LDS. I gave the numbers to the LDS owner and he looked up the price and said they would be ordered. The store manager who also is the regulator tech calls me yesterday and tells me he can"t sell me the parts due to liability. Then gives me the only the trained certified tech can do it or I will die lecture. After a long discussion on intermediate pressures, o-ring materials, duro hardness, silicone grease, and every other aspect of reg repair he concluded that I seemed to know what I was doing but still would not sell me the parts and sugested I buy reg kits on ebay. Go figure???

I hope to have some good news on this early next week. I have found a couple online dealers who are supportive of DIYers and one is testing those seats now.

The shame is that the LDS will not only lose the business of the repair parts, but will lose other business as you will likely take advantage of the online dealers low prices on other item and free shipping with minimum orders. I have to believe the local guy is eather not thinking this through very clearly or is satisfied with just pumping gas and an incidental or two for customers like us. If you are like me, it also effects where I send other divers.

SS....so this twit took your order (not your money I hope), did not tell you at the time he would not sell them to you directly, waited until the order came in then gave you the "Life Support Lecture? "

I hope you gave him the, "My friends and I make bulk purchases and you shan't receive any business from us lecture."

Sorry to hear that. I think Awap is making progress with someone, so stay tuned.

Couv

Edit....Awap was posting at the same time.

It looks like the owner will sell them to you but the store manager won't. In that case, give the owner a call back and see if he will enlighten the store manager a little bit.

It kind of reminds me of the "tech" who hydroed my LP104's and used permanent marker to "highlight" the 2400 psi limit.

I plan on talking to the owner when I see him again. My best dive buddy never got certified and the owner use to fill his tanks untill one day when the dive instructer was there, she tore him a new a$$ for filling his tanks without a c-card. Now I just take my buddys tanks to get filled.

I plan on talking to the owner when I see him again. My best dive buddy never got certified and the owner use to fill his tanks untill one day when the dive instructer was there, she tore him a new a$$ for filling his tanks without a c-card. Now I just take my buddys tanks to get filled.

Humm, an owner who allows his reg tech to send customers to eBay and allows his instructor to tear him a new one.....sound like he needs to grow a pair and take control of his business.
The liability excuse has gotten used so much they actually believe it now themselves.

I scored big today. I visited a fairly new dive shop 35 miles from me that had Trident regulator seats in stock. The A242 mk5/10 hp seat was $3.10, the A148 s-wing rivet seat was $4.37, and the AA88 seat for the air2 cost $2.40. While I was there I also picked up some other scuba assessories I needed. So a somewhat inconvenient drive led to a very pleasant shopping experience.

Pray tell us how they work out, if you're not deceased after testing them:D
I'd be very interested in a side-by-side comparison between a G250 (or BA) with a stock seat and one with the A148.

I'd be very interested in a side-by-side comparison between a G250 (or BA) with a stock seat and one with the A148.

I dove a Trident rivet style seat in a BA last week and will hit it again tomorrow. It seems to work fine. I think, if there is going to be any difference at this point, it will be in durability. My SP seats last many years but may be hard to come by for some. So unless the Trident seat has a short life (and I see no reason to expect that) it seems to be a good option for those who do not have access to Scubapro parts. BTW, I am getting the impression that this seat will work in a number of balanced barrel poppet designs.

Also used the Trident HP seat in my Mk5 with no problems. Again, I expect the issue, if there is one, will be durability.

I will give one to my dive buddy to put in his reg first, He can be the guinea pig. He is a bachelor with no children so there will be no great loss. When I try mine out for the first time I will carry a bail-out bottle with me. I will report the performance results, marine patrol rescue, or obituary whatever the case may be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom