Tried 'em in the Base pool today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

csicnomore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Rec'd my FF pro XXXL on the 17th and my comfort inserts yesterday. Couldn't wait for my sister-in-law (Dive master, AI, and my dive buddy). So I went to the pool on the Navy Base nearest me. Yee Haw!

Tried my old fins first: Mares Plana Avanti Quattros. Instant ankle and foot pain from planar fasciatus, bad enough I didn't won't to go more than a pool length.
Then the FF pro's, WOW, you guys told me and I believed you, but you gotta be kidding.
Pain went from a 6 or so to about a 1 and while on my side a 0. And, yes it really felt like I didn't have any fins on. Not sure if the power was a whole lot more, but there was a lot less effort. Difficult on the surface, switched to a side stroke, which Messier and Uncleavi (I believe it was) and no problem.

Fitting: Snug on my instep and "bites" a little on top center of instep. Can put one finger in one side or the other of foot pocket, so I can shift foot slightly side to side while standing (doesn't "feel" loose, though). In the water this doesn't seem to matter as the shape of the fin going through the water centers my foot. If there was a whole cut in the instep like Flying Force Fin, might solve the "bite on the instep".

Hey, the next lane was a sailor with a set of rocket fins on, doing lap after lap after lap. Anyway he stops and I ask if he wants to try another fin. He says sure. I say, but try just the one and yours on the other foot. He says ok. And I get him to try on his back and warned him he wouldn't feel the fin. He tried a lap and said I was right, he didn't feel the fin, but did feel the Power! --- Turns out, he's a Navy SAR swimmer and they can only wear 2 fins, one the rocket and i forget the other. Told him the Force Fin website, bet he gets a personal pair.

I'm very glad to hear the feedback, a pair of fins seems cheap compared to a doctor visit huh?? Glad it seems to work for you.

Yes the hole in the top of the footpocket (ie Flying Force) greatly improves comfort of the fin, even without a comfort instep. I recently started using an Excellerator for u/w hockey without a comfort instep, so I cut the hole in the top of the fin to match the hole of my Flying Force. It bites just a little, at the edges that were cut, but still much more comfortable for me, as I have a high arch, with some more grinding to feather the edge some more I think I can smooth that out.

Good stuff guys! I only wish I had an Arch in my Pancake Flat Feet.

I'm very glad to hear the feedback, a pair of fins seems cheap compared to a doctor visit huh?? Glad it seems to work for you.

Yes the hole in the top of the footpocket (ie Flying Force) greatly improves comfort of the fin, even without a comfort instep. I recently started using an Excellerator for u/w hockey without a comfort instep, so I cut the hole in the top of the fin to match the hole of my Flying Force. It bites just a little, at the edges that were cut, but still much more comfortable for me, as I have a high arch, with some more grinding to feather the edge some more I think I can smooth that out.

When you get the modifications complete please post some pictures and measurements. I have a pair of Excellerators in Tan Delta and have a similar problem with it "biting" on top of my foot (also have a high arch) and would like to modify mine to eliminate it.

It actually starts bothering me on about day 3 when doing multiple dives per day - but still annoying and did require adding "mole skin" toward the end of the week.

send me a PM with your real email address. What I did what traced the cutout on my Flying Force and transfered in onto the Excellerators. Cutting the Urethane is a disaster, I destroyed 2 roto-zip bits doing the job and still wasn't quite done. Finished off with a dremel with sanding drum to smooth everything out.

Disclaimer- if your fins get jacked up, or the footpocket fails/breaks because of this mod, don't yell at me, I have no idea how this mod will effect the long term viability of the fin.

csicnomore,
Great story. Having the guy in the next lane put one jet fin on his foot and a Force fin on the other is great way to demonstrate the "Feel" difference. Pro Model Force Fins are approved for Naval use and the SD1 was developed in conjunction with SAR Trainers. Below are the NSN numbers for all sizes of Pro Model Force Fins should he choose to order through the Navy.

SD1 is pending assignment.

Large Pro Model Force Fin w/bungie Heel strap NSN# 4220014771128
Extra Large Pro Model Force Fin w/bungie heel strap NSN# 4220014771129
Double Extra Large Pro Model Force Fin w/bungie heel strap NSN# 4220014771127
Triple Extra Large Pro Model Force Fin w/bungie heel strap NSN# 4220014567743

Here is a picture of the "modified Excellerator" that I use for underwater hockey. The odd ball heel strap is something that I did, its just a 1/4 inch bungie run through a piece of 1/2 inch tubular webbing for comfort. I had to come up with a secure method that doesn't have anything sharp or potentially dangerous for hockey, so the knots are in the inside and the outside is basically smooth.

HockeyFin_1.jpg

Here is a picture of the "modified Excellerator" that I use for underwater hockey. The odd ball heel strap is something that I did, its just a 1/4 inch bungie run through a piece of 1/2 inch tubular webbing for comfort. I had to come up with a secure method that doesn't have anything sharp or potentially dangerous for hockey, so the knots are in the inside and the outside is basically smooth.

HockeyFin_1.jpg

Blair,

Thanks for the numbers, they appear to be FSN's or federal stock numbers and if so would be available to all military and not just Navy. Of course in the Navy's case if a sailor's Chief says he can't wear 'em. If the sailor had a message # or publication authorizing their use, it would be hard for his boss to argue. They love red tape ya know (don't they Messier).

I copied the numbers to a card I'll carry in my wallet next time I go to the pool. Might give them to the Athletic Director or post them on the bulletin board.

Maybe someone could start a Military thread, that'd be cool.

Thanks again, Blair for all the info you and Messier put out.
Joel

Messier42,

Thought about doing the same thing (instep hole, not heel strap), but didn't have the nerve, especially on new fins under warranty. But, now you got me thinkin' again, maybe I could take a dremel or wood carving knife to the underside of the instep and instead of hole, taper the area to more match my instep (ignoring warranty, ouch)....Can hear my wife now: Always got to tinker, don't ya?

Saw the pictures, really neat mods.

Maybe we could send in our fins for "factory authorized mod"(reheating to maintain integrity) for a small nominal fee (listening Bob).

Thanks for the ideas,
Joel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom