Tried 'em in the Base pool today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blair,

Thanks for the numbers, they appear to be FSN's or federal stock numbers and if so would be available to all military and not just Navy. Of course in the Navy's case if a sailor's Chief says he can't wear 'em. If the sailor had a message # or publication authorizing their use, it would be hard for his boss to argue. They love red tape ya know (don't they Messier).

I copied the numbers to a card I'll carry in my wallet next time I go to the pool. Might give them to the Athletic Director or post them on the bulletin board.

Maybe someone could start a Military thread, that'd be cool.

Thanks again, Blair for all the info you and Messier put out.
Joel

I am a military (Navy) guy, although I don't do much Navy diving anymore, shore commands don't dive very often. The ANU list states that "Commands are authorized to purchase commerically available or standarad stock swim fins for use in diving operations"
But knowing the NSN, National Stock Number, simply makes it easier, as it can be purchased via the stock system vice a government purchase card or open purchase request.
The reason that the fins have a NSN is due to their use with special operations commands, eg. Seals and EOD. In those environments ForceFins are common.

Messier42,

Knew you were Navy, that's why I said they love red tape (dont they Messier), read it in you profile i think.

Did i mess up NSN? 0000-00-000-0000, think the first 4 are Federal stock group, guess that's what i mixed it up with. Haven't messed with the Navy supply system since '94. Anyway i understood the reasoning with having them in the supply channels instead of open purchasing. What i meant was that this SAR guy said they could only have Rocket or Jet fins to pass inspection. He's on a Frigate, maybe it's different in Helo's. But if his Chief or higher says he can only wear those fin's it would be handy to have a reference saying FF's were authorized.

Reread my prior post and it was as clear as mud so maybe this was better, i hope.

Joel

No, that's a seabag inspection, basically they are required to show the fins they were issued at the inspection. I have seen SAR wearing ForceFins, but I haven't read their regulations, so I couldn't say one way or the other. I know some guys on the Air side and might inquire next time I talk with them

You just reminded me, I have a friend I go to church with that's a SH-60 pilot. He's flying the SAR helo now while on shore duty. Just called him and he didn't know what his guys wear, but said he'd find out. I gave him the stock numbers that Blair posted and the website. Curious to see what your friends say.

Here is a picture of the "modified Excellerator" that I use for underwater hockey. The odd ball heel strap is something that I did, its just a 1/4 inch bungie run through a piece of 1/2 inch tubular webbing for comfort. I had to come up with a secure method that doesn't have anything sharp or potentially dangerous for hockey, so the knots are in the inside and the outside is basically smooth.

HockeyFin_1.jpg

I have 2 weeks until force fin first bliss!!! You guys are getting me excited!

What is underwater hockey?!?!?

uncleavi- sorry about your arches. and didn't u guys have red tape in your branch of service?

scubajay32- what's in 2 weeks?

Just ordered FF adjustables, think thats the best way to solve the Pro's foot pocket "bite" on my instep. Then i don't have to cut no holes. Whatya think?

Csicnomore, which model of adjustables? I make several models with the Patented adjustable foot pocket. Thanks, Bob

In the IDF we had less red tape but, between the Back, Knees, and Feet it is a wonder I am chipper and pure of heart. Must be my Force fins.

Just ordered FF adjustables, think thats the best way to solve the Pro's foot pocket "bite" on my instep. Then i don't have to cut no holes. Whatya think?

I don't want to mislead you, the footpockets are not uncomfortable. For 90% of the population want their fins while wearing booties. In that case, they have the oppurtunity to simply add a comfort instep and size them down and be very comfortable barefoot when the occasion arrises. The benefit of the holes comes when you have a reason not to want the comfort instep AND you have a high arch/surfers foot. So, unless you are having problems there is no reason to modify your fins.

What is underwater hockey?!?!?
Its what crazy swimmers to do when they get bored of counting tiles on the bottom of the pool http://www.underwater-society.org/ or check you youtube, I say swimmers, but anyone can play

Back
Top Bottom