Trimix dive computers and planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll give you one more bit of advice: if you don't anticipate moving to trimix diving for (say) 4 years or so, even if you do decide to rely on computers rather than cutting tables, wait 4 years before buying a computer. They only ever get cheaper and better with the passage of time.

Last computer I bought was a Sunnto D9 about 3 years ago when they were amongst the very best recreational computers. Nowadays, they have been superceded by the (trimix capable) Suunto D9tx - which costs less money and is considerably more powerful. Time is your ally.

Absolutely! Time is on your side.
Buy a Uwetec bottom timer to go with the Gekko.
Write the plans on the slate and you will remember them after a while or at least have certain idea on deco stops required.
When you have gained more experiences and knowledges then you will find out if trimix computer is necessary.

Look at the OSTC computer. Beautiful OLED display, regular firmware updates, highly configurable, great price and service/support.
Does everything except oxygen monitoring for rebreathers

Look at the OSTC computer. Beautiful OLED display, regular firmware updates, highly configurable, great price and service/support.
Does everything except oxygen monitoring for rebreathers
sure, and available in England .
i'm diving trimix with, and i computed some couples of Gradient factors corresponding to VPM conservative values
if you're interested...

I think, from having listened to the T1 classes in Egypt, that GUE teaches both the S-shape and the linear pragmatic, and recommends the linear pragmatic as being far simpler for the diver to remember underwater.

This is basically how it works at the T1 level but I'm not sure they're so laissez-faire at the T2 level....

OP: Get a used Tec2g and be done with it. Good nitrox computer, and excellent bottom timer for your mix class. Then buy the fancy mix computer down the road if you want one.

Seems to not be proven beneficial and leaves you with less gas in that 40 if you have to spend 5 mins at 70' sucking on it.
that is a factor I know quite well.

I took RD from AG also probably before you bc he was still touting the O2 window pretty strongly -- and still does in his current RD online materials i believe.
I took RD officially from AG long after I had been using it with the rest of our UTD group. He came to our area and taught the class to our whole group. I had the distinct impression that several parts of his presentation were prepared for and directed at me personally, an impression shared by several of my classmates. Starting about a year and a half before the class, I had challenged him on several aspects of the UTD decompression theory instructional points and especially on the theory behind the O2 window. Another point he went into because of my previous challenges was his belief that there is no need to make any adjustments to RD when diving at high altitudes, which we were doing regularly.

I suspect I saw a somewhat different presentation from yours.

@OP, firstly your question around slates. I normally have three plans on my slate, the planned depth and time, the planned depth and longer time and deeper depth and longer time. I also dive with bottom timer and uses the average depth and deco tables if I am having a bad day and missed all 3 slate plans.

I would really wait before buying a trimix computer and dive off slates using v-Planner. I am a big fan of Suunto, but they really are very conservative especially on deco and mixed gas dives, anything below 200ft and you will deco forever. Keep in mind I own a D9 and helo2.

My father told me to wait, as I watched my temples go grey (early)

If you go diving none of this stuff is hard

Classes reteach you how to read again, and transcribe

Only you can dive, progressing as you see fit and learn through placing yourself
in situations to test your responses and capabilities until you feel right to go
progressively forwards

As I have like solo classes wondered how you pass the practical
Is it that you come back

Ultimately after any class, coming back is your responsibility

I bought a TMI VR3 on here for around $400

My father still tells me to wait

He is 82 still waiting

i have a suunto gekko now and am thinking of upgrading so i might aswell get a trimix capable computer. i understand that a lot of tech divers use a bottom timer and depth gauge and write their plan on a slate, but what if you have to change your plan during your dive? Anyway i think that i would probably do that and still have a trimix computer just to be on the safe side. I have looked at a few trimix computers like the liquidvision and the suunto hel03 and the NHeO3 and the shearwater predator and so far i think that the HNe03 would be the best option for me considering the price.
I will echo those who have said to wait a bit, not because I do not find a trimix-capable computer to be useful, but because of where you are at the moment, and the possible time interval before you will have active use for one. I went through tec training with a multigas (but not trimix-capable) Suunto Vytec, and only bought a (used) Nitek He after I started trimix training. Even then, I bought the He for back-up to my tables. Over time, I gradually moved to the point of using my tables (planned or contingency) all the way to my last deco stop (usually, a 20 ft stop on 100% O2), then letting my computer help me decide if I could end the deco a bit early. In reality, my computer was primarily a depth gauge and timer for most of my early deco diving.

What I found valuable with the Vytec (in addition to functioning as my depth gauge) was using it to a) back up my tables, b) practice computer gas switches as part of my deco ascents, and c) compare where I was on my computer with where I was on my tables during each dive.

I have no knowledge of the new VR HNeO3, other than what I have read on their website. I own a Liquivision X1 and a Suunto Helo2, have used a Predator twice. My personal preference is the X1, because of the incredibly readable display and the ease of manipulating screens and functions u/w. But, it is a bit pricey. I like the Helo2, but the display is not as readable for me in dark environments, and the menu system requires a bit of practice to understand it. Still, is is a modestly priced unit in comparison to others. I am surprised that you are finding the NHO3 to be less expensive than the Helo2, but that may be a regional pricing issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom