Trimming Seals, Do it yourself or not???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SilverSurfer7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I plan on purchasing a drysuit this weekend. I am going with the Dive-Rite 905. Dive-Rite Express has a decent price at 1300USD. My concern is that I will have to trim the seals myself. Is this something that the average person can do or should it be left to the LDS? Thanks in advance for your comments. Always very helpful.....

bronce32:
Hi, I plan on purchasing a drysuit this weekend. I am going with the Dive-Rite 905. Dive-Rite Express has a decent price at 1300USD. My concern is that I will have to trim the seals myself. Is this something that the average person can do or should it be left to the LDS? Thanks in advance for your comments. Always very helpful.....

The first several neck seal cuts were pretty sphincter-clentching, until I stopped doing it with scissors.

I have this small sauce pan that I powder up and pull the neck seal over. I then take a NEW exacto knife blade, load it into the knife and proceed to slowly cut a very, very straight line around the ring. I wearit for about an hour (or until I turn blue) and recut 1/2 ring off before I faint.

For the wrist seals, I use a Pepsi Bottle. Just because Coke sucks.

I have yet see the LDS scissor cut that matches my work with a blade.

However, if you buy it from an LDS, they will generally cut the seals and therefore warranty their cut. So your choice it overpay for the suit to get seal cut insurance, or buy it online, pocket the cash and be very careful.

I chose the latter and have never looked back.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
I have this small sauce pan that I powder up and pull the neck seal over. I then take a NEW exacto knife blade, load it into the knife and proceed to slowly cut a very, very straight line around the ring. I wearit for about an hour (or until I turn blue) and recut 1/2 ring off before I faint.
Great timing on this question for me. I'm planning on trimming back my neck seal a bit more tomorrow on my new DS, and I always end up with a ragged cut using the scissors. Thanks, Ken. I'll take a whack at your method.

I am a regular schmoe and had to trim my own seals after having to replace one of my zip seals on a trip to Canada over New Year'. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Two suggestions: 1) if you do pull the seal over a can or something, DO NOT pull it over something where the seal is greatly stretched or you run the risk of having the seal split due to the tension; 2) I always keep my old seals (for my save-a-dive kit) and they work well as a guide for where you should cut the new ones. If they are the same types of seals, you can count the rings to know where to cut your new ones.

From what I've seen at the local dive shops I'd feel better doing it myself. I stretched my latex neckseal over one of my steel '72's and used a "new" razor blade to trim it. It is important to err on the tight side as the seals appearently have a little give over time.

Jim

Stretching seals over tanks and using a razor blade or exacto knife are really bad ideas. I have seen a neck seals split with this method.

Very sharp, long bladed scissors with one continuous cut is the best method. The wrists are easily done in one cut. The neck will take two or three.

It is always best to have another pair of hands to hold the seal together while the other person cuts. Don't stretch the seal, just hold it togther. I have heard of others using double sided tape to keep the seals line up properly.

Exacto knife on a hard surface, a buddy to hold the seal helps. I'm not sold on the necessity of the can, have always done it on a picnic table with no regrets.

Remember not to cut through a ring. Between the rings is the place to be.

This is really not rocket science. Just try to get a straight cut. I once replaced the wrists seals on my suit and forgot to trim them. When I was getting suited up on the boat I realized my mistake. I just streached out each seal by pulling the open end down slightly by hand and cut the end off with a quick pass of my dive knife. It worked just fine.

Place a posterboard under the suit and on top of a work bench or table with good lighting.
Put the straight edge of a level over the wrist seals and get everything lined up the way you want it. Use a razor blade to cut exactly along the straight edge while someone is helping by pushing down on the level.
On the neck, I had someone hold it flat. I then used a razor blade to cut evenly along a ring. When I tried it and it was too tight, I went to the next ring, and so on.
Its perfectly straight....but I must say it was an exercise in patience.

I've always trimmed my own seals. It's not hard. Just use a very sharp pair of small scissors or an exacto knife. I usually take them down 1 ring then 1/2 at a time until if it fits right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom