Trimming Seals, Do it yourself or not???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadobadoo:
I have to agree. I watched the shop I bought my dry suit from cut the seals stretched over a tank with a razor blade. Even the DUI manual said NOT to do it that way with latex. I told the guy that I read not to do it that way but he didn't listen. Well guess what, he split that seal wide open with the first cut of the razor blade. I wasn't there when he cut them the second time, but judging by the edges, he used scissors the 2nd time. He did claim that he had done it several times before...who knows...Good luck!

Actually, I did in that way, but I have used the PET, not the tank because it is much better to rolling the PET as I cut the ring on the seal..... I did cut six seals including my GF's ones in that way. The blade is a slight stuck to the PET, so that it is much safer to cut the seal because you can line up the ring with the blade without making any mistakes... Another tip is to expose the blade as less as possible to prevent any bouncing of the blade. In addition, you can practice this way before getting to the right ring.. I did practice this method on the first ring..... Always works, even not one fail.....:D

I have also always done my own. Like JustinK I trim a ring or two too small then try them. If you can dive with it a little small you can then later down the road if the edge starts to get gummy trim a bit more off without replacing the seals.

Thanks for the info guys. This helps quite a bit.

Rick Inman:
Ugh! Scissors or blade, I'm just not good at this. Even going slow with the exacto knife, I still have an uneven edge.

Oh, well. No one notices anyway.

Rick, aside from stretching the seal over a tank or similar object, you can try another method. I lay the seal flat on a cutting board, and use a large can (crushed tomatoes liberated from my wife) to lay on top of the seal. The can is nearly a perfect radius to the seal ring. Then a quick trim along the bottom of the can gives a perfectly smooth cut very easily. I find it works great for me.

Okay, so I did a search and read all I could on this subject.

And then took the plunge. My wife wielded a pair of very sharp scissors. I provided the additional support hands and the running commentary and helpful suggestions. Which I might say she did not seem to appreciate as much as I thought she would. And we trimmed off one "row" of my new Next Gen Pro Dry neck seal.

It went very well. It did not seem to be rocket science. And I can now wear the suit without my facing going all red with patriotic blue and white undertones.

One row made a huge difference so I can see how you could easily gack this up by going to far, or too much.

Thanks to all for their guidence!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom