Trip Report: 15 Aug Olympus Dive Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

traumadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
On 15 August 2009 I dove with Olympus Dive Center located in Morehead City, NC. This was my first set of dives off the NC coast and I had a blast!
I must take my hat off to Olympus. They run a very good operation. It is very safe. The staff is very knowledgable of the wrecks and conditions of the ocean. The briefings were in depth with an emphasis on your safety and having a fun dive.
All the things I heard about Olympus were positive and I just confirmed all of them.

I planned to dive 3 tanks with Olympus. Two tanks were done on thier full day charter on the boat Olympus. My third dive was done on thier half day afternoon charter off the Midnight Express.

Showtime for the full day charter was 0600. Very early for me but coffee in hand to clear my head I got there. The staff got me squared away with Nitrox tanks. They had a very organized way to get your tanks and analyze them. Very well thought out.
The dive boat Olympus was very well thought out. Many details were taken care of. They had lines running across the top of the rain shelter where you gear up to hang your wetsuits and a locked cubby for all your gear under your seat. The boat was full for this 2 tank dive but it didnt seem like it.
Off we went out into the ocean for a two hour ride out to the U-352. I was happy I was getting to do this dive because of all the good things I have heard about it.
A very good dive brief was given, my buddy and I geared up and we splashed. The viz was about 30-40 feet I think and the water temp was about 72 degrees. It is my understanding from talking to others that the viz was actually not so good for this wreck because of a storm that came through a week prior. I thought the viz was awesome.
I thought it was pretty awesome that we were diving on such a historical site. I must admit it was kinda weird diving on a wreck that also serves as an underwater tomb.
Yes, there were fish on the wreck. I dont know what types of fish except some very large Barracuda and swarms of small "eat me Mr. Barracuda" fish. Oh, and there were a large number of jellyfish in the water that day. I got stung once across my upper lip. What fun that was.

We took a nice long surface interval and headed out to our second wreck of the day, the Aeolus. The viz and water temps were the same as the U-352 for the most part. This wreck was really nice. There was alot to see on the shallower levels of the wreck. There were alot of holes to peer into, intact ladder and marine life. I saw an eel peering out at me from its house. The thing I liked about this wreck was it was truly multi-level. If you wanted to go deep that was possible but there was alot to do and see at the higher levels as well.

After our 2nd dive it was time to head back to the shore. Nice easy 2 hour ride back. The sea state was very calm. I found it neat that they put some bean bag chairs out on the sun deck of the boat, that is attention to detail for sure.

No rest for the weary on this day. When we got back to the dive shop/dock, I transferred all my gear to Olympus Dive Centers other boat, the Midnight Express. I was going to do thier half day afternoon charter, 1 tank on an inshore wreck.
The Captain decided we were going to the Indra. The condititions inshore were pretty much the same as they were off shore on this day according to my computer. I did feel a little bit cold on this dive and could see a visible thermocline at 65fsw. I think my body temp was dropped a little from the other dives. This dive was fantastic. There was very minimal current, almost non-existent. The viz was about 30 feet. This wreck was not really deep but there was alot to see, including those darn jellyfish again. I saw some bicycles on the sand, someone was riding one of them, that was funny to see. My buddy did see a huge barracuda.

As you may imagine I was beat after this day of 3 dives. It was so worth it though.
A little word on the Dive Lodge Olympus offers. I found it to be well worth the money. I had some reservations at first about staying in a dive lodge for $50/night. Was it going to be dirty? Unsafe? All those worries got put to rest. The place is pretty clean. Sure you have to share facilities with other divers but for the price it was nice. Lots of ammenities..coffee maker, refrigerator, showers, beds. One note about the beds, if you are tall, the matress might be a bit short for you..suck it up buttercup! HAHA.

I had a great trip to Morehead City with Olympus Dive Center. I am going to see them again in the near future. Now I understand what all the fuss is about.

Did you say $50 a night for the lodge?I have not beenthere in a while, i think last time was 1999.It was 15.00 a night

You are right, my mistake. It is $25 a night at the Olympus Dive Lodge. What a better value! Thanks for the correction.

Great report, thanks. My son and I are planning a trip down there for a few days of diving. Any thoughts of how it will be down there at the end of Sept or beginning of Oct?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom