trip report - Adventurer 2 through Raja Ampat, and Maluku Divers in Ambon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edpdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I just returned from an Indonesia trip, 12 nights on the Archipelago Adventurer 2 liveaboard, followed by 4 days in Ambon at the newly opened Maluku Dive Resort. It was the first liveaboard we had been on, and also the first muck diving that we had done. I think that it was the best diving that we have done, and it was a great trip in all respects.

The Adventurer 2 liveaboard is a great boat, but the best thing about it is the excellent crew. All of the people working on the boat were first-rate, but the dive guides were incredible. The head dive guide, Made (pronounced Moddie), was amazing. He was a great spotter and organizer, and helpful in all respects. The others who worked with him followed his lead, and they were first-rate, too (Bram was another stand-out guide for us). The boat was well-organized, and all aspects of the trip were professional and fun. The diving was throughout a wide swath of Raja Ampat, and it was the best diving I have done. The soft corals and underwater scenic vistas were as good as I have ever seen. I would rate it slightly higher than Wakatobi, which was the best diving I have done previously. Another memorable part of the trip was the manta ray cleaning station on our second day. Also, there were lots of critters everywhere. There were typically 4 dives per day, except for a couple of days with longer crossings, when there were three. The cabins were exceptionally large by liveaboard standards (as all of the other guests who had been on liveaboards said). The food was excellent. The service was great. I look forward to going on this boat again, either through Raja Ampat again, Banda, or Komodo.

The trip originated in Sorong, and ended at Ambon, where we continued our diving at the newly opened Maluku Dive Resort. This was the muck diving part of the trip. It was a lot of fun, although I definitely prefer the Raja Ampat diving overall. That is a matter of taste, of course, and I was glad to have added the 4 days of muck diving. The density of bizarre and exotic critters was incredible.

The trip was arranged by Ultimate Dive Travel Ultimate Dive Travel - Scuba Diving Tours - Scuba Dive Vacation (they booked the whole charter, and also made all of the travel arrangements. They did an excellent job (we have used them many times before).

Here are few photos from the trip.

4421698871_bef69cb886.jpg

4421699239_502751d008.jpg

4425510962_0666d0fe69.jpg

4430134471_8d0a8b78e4.jpg

4422464800_7f28488932.jpg

4429302170_0c6054716d.jpg

4428535659_44701447ce.jpg

and the whole set (which I am still adding to) can be found here
Flickr photo set, February 2010 Indonesia trip

ah, the psychadelic froggie is around! thats good to see, nice shots.

Actually, Made's name is pronounced, Ma-Day :)

Shasta Man, the three windows picture is from Boo Rock, my favorite dive from the trip.

Mike, right you are on the pronunciation (I could not figure out a good way to write it, but you got it right). And yes, the new psychedelic frog fish was sighted on a couple of dives (Laha 2 site, as I recall).

-Erwin

We are going on the Arch ll in April/May. We are also going to stay at the Maluku divers resort for
3 days. Thank you for the beautiful pictures!

We are going on the Arch ll in April/May. We are also going to stay at the Maluku divers resort for
3 days. Thank you for the beautiful pictures!

Kathy,

I am sure that you will love the boat. From your timing, I am guessing that you are doing the Banda trip, and some people on the boat on my trip had done the Banda trip the year before, and loved it. Have a great time. The Ambon diving is excellent, too. It sounds like the mix you will have is similar to our trip.

Erwin

Hi Erwin!

We are actually doing the Ambon to Maumere 14 day charter ! I noticed that you have an awesome picture of the Histiophryne Psychedelica ! In case you are impressed by my use of the scientific name, don't be! I copied it right from the Maluku divers web site. HA! We are looking forward to seeing that fish! I loved that dive at Boo Rock with the 3 windows too! Your picture is quite stunning! I am very impressed with all of your pictures! Thank you for sharing!

Hi Erwin!

We are actually doing the Ambon to Maumere 14 day charter ! I noticed that you have an awesome picture of the Histiophryne Psychedelica ! In case you are impressed by my use of the scientific name, don't be! I copied it right from the Maluku divers web site. HA! We are looking forward to seeing that fish! I loved that dive at Boo Rock with the 3 windows too! Your picture is quite stunning! I am very impressed with all of your pictures! Thank you for sharing!

Wow! A 14 day charter. Very, very cool. Have a great time (I am sure that you will).

Actually, while it was fun to see the new frog fish (whatever it is called :)) , it was the incredible density of interesting critters that made the diving in Ambon fun. I am sure that you will have a most excellent time. Write a report when you return (or shoot me a PM) - Erwin

Sounds good!!! I am looking forward to the muck diving around Ambon. That is my favorite kind of diving! Your pictures have gotten us pumped up for the trip! Feel free to PM me as well!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom